Forum rules - please read before posting.

Simon the Sorcerer - Between Worlds

edited August 2014 in Games showcase
Hello developers!

We're StoryBeasts, we are developing a new entry for the Simon the Sorcerer franchise.

For those who doesn't know StS (Simon the Sorcerer) is a point & click adventure game from the 90's created originally by Adventure Soft who is working along with us. /

We're going back to the roots of the genre and from the first two games with 2D graphics, the best received by the fans, going back to the british humor that made it so special.

Just today we announced the title of the game and a first screenshot, the game is in pre-alpha version right now.

We want to hear from the players (and developers) what they think of what we have for now, we've shown the screenshot in different forums and we've been receiving tons of feedback, very positive about the background but not so much about the characters but people don't really give specifics, we'd appreciate input from other artists and developers as to what they think of the scene in general.

Go to our blog (http://www.storybeasts.com) and join the contest on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/wearestorybeasts) there will be decided the final logo for the game.

Thanks.

Comments

• I played the first game on release and enjoyed it immensely, so I'm excited to hear that you collaborate with the original creators on this!

Since you post here I assume you use Adventure Creator?
  • Yes, of course, we are using Adventure Creator and we are very pleased with the results.
  • edited August 2014
    Wow that's really cool that you're bringing Simon The Sorcerer back. Best of luck!
  • Cool! Great to see a classic adventure game return thanks to Adventure Creator. And it looks really good too.

For some weird reason your link to your site goes to a hugedomains website hosting landing page, but I found it through your facebook eventually. Good luck with this!
  • Cool background graphics!!! 
    Simon's char is great too, but the other with the green hat looks like if his face was sticked on... 
    Keep us updated when you have other pic or videos and good luck!
  • There is a typo in the blog URL: it says "storybeats" instead of "storybeasts".
    That's why you got that wrong page, @hedgefield.

That picture looks great, I wish I could draw backgrounds like that. Looking forward to meat Simon again after so many years ...

Cheers,
    orrence.
  • Hi there!

Good come back for the Simon franchise, loved the first two..

About feedback..

The scene seems quite good. Simon design is cool and blends with the painted background.. I can't say the same with the old man (shirt color without contrast, should be in the darks, arms and beard position while sleeing is weird).

About the background, is superb.. I would increase the accent on the light sources.. Door+window at the right and upper left bright window.. I miss from this second bright one to be showed on the floor (bad idea if Simon can reach it, because shadowing), and a few spots on top of the wardrove, and metalic stuff. Also the volumetric light has a bit hard cut out.. I would add if possible a few dust particles flotating there on the window spot.

But take this feedback lightly.. I wish I could create assets like those, and I would instant-buy it just for how it looks now, on pre alpha..

So good work and keep us updated!! :)

• edited August 2014
    Oops! Fixed the link in the first post. How embarrasing! Thank you guys.
    We do have terrific artists on the team I must say, very proud of that.

I've forwarded your feedback to them and we're already incorporating some of your ideas.
    We've been getting a lot of negative/timid feedback in regards to the design of Simon, specially the face, in other forums. Generally it seems like fans of the series find it a bit bland, or that it doesn't remind them of an older Simon that's still the sarcastic slacker we remember.
    So we've worked on a couple of sketches and we'd like to share it with you to hear what you think:
  • So I read on a HM Spiffing kickstarter update that you are planning yours... so... when!? :P

You've got a future backer here :) and a great franchise in hands, so prepare everything in detail and go for it!!
  • Always loved STS! Had Amiga 1200 and CD32 one with voices, so glad to see you guys using AC. Im sure the author must be beyond proud :))))) Enjoying the look of the main character !