Forum rules - please read before posting.

Strange issue with Dialogue: Start conversation

edited November 2017 in Engine development
I'm using the most recent version of AC (1.60.2) and Unity 5.6.0f3. My game consists (almost) entirely of dialogue, and I've broken the dialogue sections down into individual ActionLists. For this reason, my game is pretty much entirely ActionLists, and almost every ActionList starts with Dialogue: Start conversation. This was working fine until I just updated AC to the most recent version (I was using 1.57 until today). Now, for some reason, the first ActionList with Dialogue: Start conversation at the beginning (let's call this ALx) runs fine, but as soon as the next ActionList with Dialogue: Start conversation at the beginning (let's call this ALy) is triggered, the conversation flickers on the screen for a split second before disappearing. The game is still running (I have a timer counting down on the screen which shows this to be the case), but the conversation is invisible and can't be interacted with. No error messages appear in the console. I've tested this with many different conversations and it does the same thing. 

A few other ActionLists are triggered between ALx and ALy, but none of them feature any dialogue or tweak any settings at all. All they do is check (and alter) some variables to determine how the next part of the conversation will play out. These variables alter the content of the dialogue rather than the conversation system itself. 

I've actually discovered a workaround: if I have literally anything else at the beginning of ALy (and all subsequent ActionLists with Dialogue: Start conversation at the beginning) before Dialogue: Start conversation, it works fine. Currently I've got Engine: Wait set to 0.5 seconds. After that 0.5 second wait, the conversation starts fine. If I remove Engine: Wait, it reverts back to the problematic behaviour.

So yeah, this isn't game breaking or anything, but it's a little weird. 

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Thanks for the alert.  So the Actions between ALx and ALy are instantaneous?  And are you using the "override" option in your "Dialogue: Start conversation" Action to place all responses within the same ActionList?

Does this issue occur if you use the deault interface (i.e. assign the "Demo_MenuManager" as your Menu Manager and run the game)?

I shall attempt a recreation, but are you able to get the same behaviour in a more simplified Action arrangement (i.e. on the bare-minimum Actions necessary to cause the issue)?  If you can provide an image / clear steps to reproduce this, it will help me track down the cause so that a fix can be issued.