Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hitting inventory or other menu button while in a camera fade cancels the fade

Hi!

Has anyone come across a good solution to this?

I use a lot of camera fade in/out to transition the player from one room to another. If I hit any button that launches a menu, it'll cancel the fade of the camera, and bring everything into view, and then continue the cutscene once I exit the menu.

It's not a huge deal but it looks pretty ugly.

I've played around with setting things to run in background instead of pause gameplay but it doesn't seem to do the trick. If I set the menu to not pause gameplay, it works as intended, but that creates a whole bunch of other issues and I want the gameplay to pause while in menus.

Thanks!

Comments

• Do you want to disable the ability to launch the menu, or just prevent the fading from disappearing?

The fade disappearing is there as a safeguard to prevent the scene becoming invisible, but you can create a UI-based Menu that fades in its own "fade image" with an Animator component.  Instead of fading with the camera, you could then use the Object: Animate Action to playback the fading animation.
  • Hi Chris, I'm looking for a way  to prevent the fading from disappearing. As an example, player might have to go up a flight of stairs, but instead of animating that, I just fade the camera out, play some footstep sounds, then fade the player in once he has teleported to the next floor. If enabling a menu while the fade out is in place, it cuts the scene back into view, with the player just standing at the bottom of the stairs with the footsteps sound playing, and then teleporting the player upstairs - which doesn't look great :)

So if I understand your suggested solution, instead of using the action for Camera: Fade, I would use the Object: Animate action every time I need a camera fade? Or am I misunderstanding?
  • That was my suggestion, yes.  However, I don't understand why the sound would continue to play when paused, or why/when the player would be teleported.  Is the "EndCutscene" input being invoked as part of this?
  • Sorry I probably wasn't clear, the cutscene itself doesn't end, it's just that the actual fade of the camera disappears, so the cutscene continues as intended it's just that you can see stuff you shouldn't be seeing as the camera should be blacked out.

I'll test out your suggestion and see if this will work - sounds like a good workaround, thanks!