Forum rules - please read before posting.

Slow loading after Splash Screen with Adventure Creator

Hi to all and hi Chris,
i've buy Adventure Creator and i'm very happy about this plugin.
I'm starting with Unity with Adventure Creator about 2 month.
I've made many test someone easy and someone articulated but i have the same problem.

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 all the test run quickly. after splash screen i have 2 second of black screen and after the game start fast.

But if i test my game on a old tablet mediacom with Android 5.0, after the splash screen, the game start after 16-18 second.

I've try to made a test without Adventure Creator in Unity with a simple text and music and, after the splah screen, the test run fast after 1 secon (on tablet mediacom).
I think the issue are on some configuration with Adventure Creator.

On this tablet game as BROKEN SWORD run fast after 1 second of black.

I use UNITY 2017.2 Of3 Personal and Adventure Creator last version 1.60.5, on Windows 10.

I've read all the post on this forum but i can't find any solution. I've tried many change but anyone solve.

Thanks for help,
Paolo

Comments

• If i create a Loading Scene and setting up as many people had descripted on forum nothing change.
    After the splash screen of unity, i have 16 second of black screen, then the game load the loading scene and then the game.
  • Welcome to the community, @voceradio.

Long loading times with Unity games on mobile platforms isn't an issue only for those made with Adventure Creator, and while I certainly try to keep AC as optimised as possible, there are still considerations to make as you would any Unity game.

Much of it depends on things like texture compression and audio preloading - which is generally a larger cause of long preloading times than scripts.  You can find some fairly good guides on optimisation techniques on Unity's website:

https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/OptimizingGraphicsPerformance.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/class-TextureImporterOverride.html

On the AC side of things, also see the "Performance and optimisation" chapter near the end of the Manual.  There you can find some tricks to help improve load times, but which ones you can use depends on the nature of your game.

The Unity Profiler is also a good way of finding out bottlenecks.  If you'd like to share your findings and any details about your game (asset statistics, etc), we may be able to offer more specific advice.
  • Hi, Chris. Thanks for response. :)
    As i have write i've done many test about loading with different projects.
    Thank to your response on other post and to other users i've found a way for graphic and actionLists optimizations. I've already compress my images and audio.

In the last project i've made a very simple and slim project with 11 scene. Every scene are made of 1 small image and 1 audio (the audio is 20kb and the image is 350kb) . 2 Arrow (left and right) let me navigate trow the various scenes.

When the game is already loading the loading trow the scenes is immediate. The problem is the first loading. After the unity splash screen the game go to black screen for 16 seconds.
    The same thing with my all different project.

I can't find a solution.
    In another project i've made some scene more heavy and i've solved the slow loading thow the scenes with a loading scene.
    But it's very strange that on every project (heavy or slim) after the splash unity screen i've to wait so many seconds.
    Can i send a link with my unity project for help me to understand where is the problem? My test project is 110mb.
    I'm sure that if you find the solution on this test project i'll find a solution for all my other projects.
    I've read that other user have the same problem.
    Probably the solution can help many other people that want to use your fantastic Adventure Creator.

Many thanks,
    Paolo
  • edited December 2017
    Again this is something that all projects have to contend with, and can't say how much AC itself is contributing to it.  I can't promise success but if you really are all out of ideas, then yes - PM me your project.
  • Thank You very much, Chris. I'm sure that You will can find a way to solve this strange (for me) problem. I'll send the link soon.
  • Ok, i write here part of the solution of my problem. Thanks very much to Chris for help me!

1 - My images was compressend in a wrog way. I've solve selecting: RGBA CRUNCHED DXT5 (for images with alpha channel) and RGB CRUNCHED DXT1 (for images without alpha channel).

2 - My audio files was all loaded at the startup of my game. I've solved going on every audio files (in asset folder) and in PRELOAD AUDIO DATA i have remove the marker.

Also, in LOAD TYPE i've selected COMPRESSED IN MEMORY, compression format VORBIS, quality 50% and in Sample rate setting i've selected OPTIMIZE SAMPLE RATE.

3 - In a scene with a larger Navmesh i've set: character evasion = none and Accuracy = 0.5. Now i have poor accuracy when my character walk on the ground but the loading is very very fast.

Someone, have any suggestion for keep a good accuracy in my navmesh and keep also a fast loading? I don't understand this thing.

Thanks to all!
    Paolo
  • The number of points on the NavMesh is directly tied to the amount of calculations pathfinding requires.  Try to keep your NavMesh as simple as possible, removing unnecessary vertices wherever possible.

If need be, you can split your NavMesh into multiple smaller ones and swap out the "active" one as the player moves around the scene using the Scene: Change setting Action.