Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to create a 2D Adventure without a player?

Dear Chris,

I downloaded the AC 1.60 for creating a 2D player less (First person View) adventure puzzle game where I only need to interact with the surrounding elements without a need for a player per se. 

The whole intention is to make the screen / camera as the player interacting with the surrounding via clicks on the hotspots.

I am unsure about the change in settings I need to make compared to the actual demo that includes the player.

It was suggested to me that Movement Method should be selected as None. But then it seems one needs to make changes in other settings too. 

Can you point out the important settings changes?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @tryhard.  Here's what I'd suggest:
    • Movement method: None
    • Camera perspective: 2D
    • Moving and turning: Unity 2D
    Without a player, you can do without worrying about NavMeshes, Colliders and pathfinding.  You will still activate GameCamera2Ds in your scene (as with the 2D tutorial), but as they follow the player by default they will be stationary to begin with.

Being in 2D, you'll then mark up your interactive objects (Hotspots) with 2D Colliders.  As with the 2D tutorial, the provided Hotspot 2D prefab comes with a Box Collider 2D, but you can replace this with a Polygon Collider component for more complex interactive shapes.

After those settings, your Interaction method is your next most important option - but this is independent of movement style / player option because it only deals with how Hotspots are interacted with.  If you're new to AC, I would suggest Context Sensitive mode, as it is the most simple to get up and running with since it provides a one-click interface.  All modes, however, are covered in the Manual.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the included 2D Demo actually works without a player.  If you load up the 2D Demo via the top toolbar (to load in the Managers and open the scene), remove "Brain2D" from the Settings Manager's Player field, and set the Movement method to None, and you should find that (animation error messages notwithstanding) you can still play through the demo scene to completion.