Forum rules - please read before posting.

Switch off turning character

edited December 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I don't use turning animation for my character and my character slides back before walking. So how to switch off turning character in general?

Here my settings

Comments

• Set 'Turn Speed' to zero and deactivate 'Turn before walking'.

That's what I'm doing myself.  ;)
  • How do you mean "slide back"?  The root object moves in the opposite direction?

View the root object's rotation in the Scene window when it occurs.  A character will still be facing e.g. leftwards in "3D" space even if the animation is not equipped to show it.  To disable turning completely, update to the latest release and set the Turn Speed to a negative value.
  • edited December 2017
    Anaxtasia 
    Character doesn't move then

ChrisIceBox 
    Yes. The root object moves in the opposite direction. (The root object is turning and chind sprite facing to the camera.)
    I updated AC and set the Turn Speed to a negative value. Nothing is changed. Character just slide back immediately

• I think I'm going to have to see a video or gif of this behaviour.  It's a visual problem and I can't picture it from the description.  Also, temporarily remove/disable the Animator component - we'll need to separate the animation from movement to understand it more clearly.
  • Thanks.  The Turning before walking option should prevent that, but the latest release also provides a new Retro-style movement? option in Character Inspectors which forces them to beeline to their destination without turning.  Try checking that.
  • edited December 2017
    I tried these options. The same effect.

I do not know what the problem is, but I fixed it. I created another character in this scene with the player component and the same child object with follow sorting map component, and make it untagged.
    For some strange reason, the new character fix main character and he turn correctly now.

Is it a bug?
  • Can't say - there must be some difference between them that caused one to work and the other to not.

If you have a moment to compare them carefully to see the difference (however seemingly minor) that is causing the problem, let me know and I'll look into it.