Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with 2.5D Tutorial

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do the 2.5d tutorial.  I originally tried going through it using my own pics thinking I would make my own version.  I hit a roadblock when my images would not appear after creating cameras, then creating background images, and then assigning images to them.  I followed the tutorial exactly (as far as I could tell).  

Since I had problems, I decided to do the tutorial again with the actual tutorial files provided (wharf pics).  Unfortunately I ran into the exact same problem - can't see the pics in the game window when clicking "set as active" on the Background Image prefab in the Game Camera 25D (Script) pane in the inspector.

I did try sliding the camera back on all axis to see if the camera being on 0,0,0 was in the middle of the pic, but still no luck.

I believe I have the latest version of AC (1.60.7), and the newest version of Unity (2017.3.0f3 Personal).  I fear that the latest version of Unity might be what's causing the problems, but I'm a newb so what do I know.

Thanks for your help!

Brad

Not sure which links for pics will work best in here, so here's most of them:

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Unity 2017.3 did indeed bring changes that caused problems with AC, but the latest release is designed to compensate.

When the tutorial was written, background images were displayed using the GUITexture component you see in the "BackgroundImage" scene objects.  With 2017.3, Unity is deprecating this component - so instead AC displays them using the "BackgroundImageUI" object that you should find at the top of the Hierarchy.  This change is covered in the "GameCamera 2.5D" chapter in the Manual.

The only change to the workflow should be that instead of assigning the background images to the GUITexture component, you assign them in the "Background texture" field of the BackgroundImage component just beneath.

Unassign the textures from the GUITexture, place them in the other component, and see if it then shows.  Actually, I should probably remove the GUITexture component from the 2017.3 release to avoid such confusion.
  • The only change to the workflow should be that instead of assigning the background images to the GUITexture component, you assign them in the "Background texture" field of the BackgroundImage component just beneath.

Excellent.  That worked, thanks!