Forum rules - please read before posting.

Solved - Issue creating new hotspot - Editing modifies existing hotspot

edited March 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hi there, apologies if this is a really basic issue - I'm pretty sure it's something I've done wrong, but can't figure out where!

I'm using Unity 2017.3.1f1 and AC 1.61.2

I've been following the 'Creating a 2D game' tutorial on youtube (which is great btw!) and I'm absolutely loving AC's interface, having come from AGS.

I've created two hotspots already, each with their own interactions that are working just as expected. However, it seems now when I create a new hotspot (AC Game Editor - Hotspot 2D - Add new prefab) the hotspot is created with a box collider that is the same shape as one of my existing hotspots (first hint that something is amiss).

A few things I've noted:

• The new hotspot is adding to the list of hotspot prefabs in AC Game Editor-Scene.
  • The new hotspot is created outside of the '_Hotspots'  hierarchy in the scene window (top left-hand window)
  • The new hotspot is created with it's own name (Hotspot2D)  as expected.
  • It seems when editing the box collider for the new hotspot (Hotspot2D) it's simultaneously modifying my previous hotspot's collider too (AlexRoomSign).
  • Also when I change the Label on my new hotspot (Hotspot2D) it changes the previous hotspot's Label too.
  • I'm able to rename the new hotspot to something unique without the existing hotspot changing it's name.

It only seems to affect one of the two hotspots I've already created, so I assume it is somehow linked to that one but I can't figure out where!

Again, sorry if this is something really simple. I wasn't able to find any mention of this in the forum and I don't think I'm doing anything different to the tutorial when creating this third hotspot. Happy to post screenshots if that helps at all.

Cheers!

Comments

• Yup, was something I was doing wrong. Sorry to waste your time folks!

Just in case anyone is as daft as me I'll put this:

Don't hit 'Apply' after changing names and stuff in the hotspots Inspector, it would seem that applies the changes to all the hotspots.
  • Welcome to the community, @Chicky!

Indeed, when AC places logic objects down in the scene, they're all instances of their original prefabs - so it's important to not apply any changes you make back to the source.  These prefabs will also get overwritten when updating AC, but if you want to make a new Hotspot prefab you can do this by dragging any Hotspot in your scene into the Project window and rely on that instead.

To prevent prefabs from being updated accidentally, you can also break a scene object's connection to it by going to GameObject -> Break Prefab Instance in the top toolbar.

The new hotspot is created outside of the '_Hotspots'  hierarchy in the scene window (top left-hand window)

This will occur if the "folder" object has a non-zero position - did "_Hotspots" or "_Logic" get moved from (0,0,0)?
  • Neat, that explains a lot. Yup, looking at it seems I moved _Hotspots in the _Logic 'folder'. Thanks for all the hard work Chris, really enjoying AC.
  • You're welcome, glad to hear from a fellow AGS veteran!