Forum rules - please read before posting.

Bug: Walk speed scale has no influence after update

Dear Chris,
Since updating Adventure Creator to the recent version (last update hast been a month or two) the walk speed scale for both the player and the npcs doesnt work anymore. I'm using mecanim as my animation engine and  automatic motion control. Interestingly, while the walk speed scale has no influence on my animators speed parameter (It always goes to 1), the run speed scale behaves correctly as a multiplier from the walk speed scale value (Can see that when i press my run button)
Is there a quick solution until it is fixed? Thank you! 

Comments

• You will need to provide more information - the Demo game's Player, Tin Pot, is also animated with Mecanim and responds appropriately to changing walk speed.

What version were you previously using?  Does your character rely on root motion?  Please post images showing your player's full Inspector.
  • Yes I'm relying on root motion and using Unitys Character Controller. Will post images of the players inspector once i'm in the office. I was using 1.60.4 before, and interestingly it's not only the player character, but also NPCs which are affected (Everyone runs to every point evene when AC is moving the Characters for example in Cutscenes). 
  • If you're relying on root motion, then your character's speed is entirely dependent on the animation - it shouldn't be tied to the "Walk move speed" at all.
  • Yes it is, but my speed parameter in the animator, which goes from 0 to 1, blends through animations from walk to run. The way it worked until I updated was, that the Speed parameter was clamped based on the walk speed scale value (in my case 0.6) and would only go to 0.9 with the push of the run button. This is how it was working for the last 2 years... 
  • https://imgur.com/a/qp0R3  Here are Screenshots of Harolds Inspector, the NPCs are set up similarly when it comes to the values and the animator, but they use a rigidbody and capsule collider
  • It's really strange, Tin pot works normal, even when I click on root motion in the animator, he doesn't move then obviously, but the parameter in his animator is set to the right value
  • Good news is it is fixed now, although in a rather strange way... I added animation events to the walkcycle and suddenly everything was working as it was before.. maybe reimporting the animation was the solution? Its also strange that the same thing happened when I updated AC on my other computer, (which was the reason I thought it was an AC related bug) and reverting to an older version of AC also fixed the problem. Maybe you have an answer what causes this behaviour. By the way I'm using 2017.3. Thanks again for your help :) 
  • Hi Chris, unfortunately the strange fix didn't fix it for the NPCs... still no idea what's happening.
  • I'll have to see more to have an idea myself.  Duplicate the character and remove all third-party scripts.  Then create a .unitypackage file of the new prefab, Animator controller, and all graphic/animation assets that he depends on.  PM it to me and I'll take a look.