Forum rules - please read before posting.

Remember Path (targets)

Hi there,

I've done some searches but it seems there's not a clear previous thread about the topic.

I was wondering if there's some way for AC to natively 'remembering', when loading, where the Player and NPCs were going to when the game was saved.

I was expecting some kind of 'Remember Path' component, but it seems there isn't one to be found.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2018
    That should already be provided for the Player, and NPCs can have this data saved via the Remember NPC component.

Be sure to also attach Constant ID components to any Paths objects they're walking along (unless pathfinding) - that's necessary for any object that needs a reference to it saved but not any changed info about it.

If the correct components are there, but things aren't working, please give details in the form of reproducable steps to see the issue.
  • edited April 2018

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answer and sorry for not following up before. I needed to make sure I had a clean setup first.

I didn't test the thing with NPCs yet, so I'll assume they'll work fine. It's the Player which have had problems not following her (path-found) target after loading, but it seems that the culprit is this Constrain action I have in 'AfterLoading' and 'MainMenuAfterLoading' Action Lists:

If I remove it, it works, but if I leave it like that, the movement seems to be reset (I think) and the Player object stops in its tracks.

So, is that action needed or it's redundant after having used 'Engine: Manage Systems' to enable Movement before...?

Ah, and another question... I assume that 'Remember Transform' in Player is not needed, right?

• If you're using Point And Click movement - yes, disabling Movement in Engine: Manage systems will make the Movement option in Player: Constrain redundant.

However, both will be included in save data automatically - so unless you want to override what was saved they shouldn't be necessary.

All player data - including position and orientation - is saved automatically.  Remember Transform would only be necessary if you want to e.g. save a change in parentage, which isn't recommended for the player.
  • Excellent. That's all I wanted to know. Thank you!