Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to get NPCs able to move between nodes above and below them without rigidbody?

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
So, Ive found 20 characters walking around slows my game right down, I track it to the physics - I think the fact that each person is a rigidbody it really drags due to all of the collisions. So I was wondering if I could remove the rigid bodies and it would be faster - it was. However, now when my characters follow the nodes of their path, they do not go up and down, and instead stay at the same level they started at. If a node is above them, or below them when they have a rigidbody, they have no problem getting to it. How do I make this work without using rigidbody? I want them to follow the exact path of the nodes, up and down so it appears they are working correctly, but even if you removed the floor you would see they are not really actually using physics to stay on the ground. I believe this is the best way to have many people without physics slowdown.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Oops, you can use override gravity on the path script to do just this, wow!.. Now no physics dragging my characters down at all, huge fps increase :) Somehow im also able to mark them as static and they are occluded nicely too, thought they wouldn't work because they're moving :)..