Forum rules - please read before posting.

Advise on 2.5D Game

Hello!

I have a game setup, where I have a 3D character and 2D backgrounds. In some of the backgrounds camera is static, in Others camera can scroll horizontally and zoom in on some areas.

What Setup would you recommend for this kind of game?

I experimented with
AC 2.5D Multiple Scene Project
Unity Nav Mesh pathfinding
Game Camera (3d) 

which sort of worked when camera was set to perspective, but the mouse clicks to set player position don't work if I set camera to orthographic or use Gamecamera2D. 

Thanks,

Comments

• For point and click to work, the NavMesh must be visible to the camera - so if you use an orthographic camera, you must make sure that it is not completely perpendicular to the NavMesh.  Rotating it downwards can help.

If a GameCamera2D with perspective projection is made to scroll, it will do so with a fixed perspective (Ken Burns effect-style), which can help with scrolling 2.5D backgrounds.

A tutorial on scrolling 2.5D backgrounds can be found here.  Also note that AC now allows you to set your 2D/3D mode per-scene, so you can make use of 2.5D GameCameras / Background images for the static scenes, and 2D GameCameras for the scrolling ones.