Forum rules - please read before posting.

Refining the 9 verb example.

Hi everyone, I'm only a couple of days in, enjoying AC so far!

I'm experimenting with the 9 verb example..

The label on the verbs menu that displays the verb in text is causing me a bit of trouble.
What I'd like to avoid is this: I've picked up a key, key is sitting in the inventory, I move the cursor from the scene over onto the key and the text that is displayed is "Walk To Key". I'd like whenever the cursor passes into the inventory area for the default verb to be "Look At" instead... because "Walking To" anything in your inventory isn't what I'm after.

Comments

• BONKERS!
    I created my own new label. It worked as I wanted it (not putting "Walk To" in front of inventory items) - but it was exactly the same as the one in the example??!?

One difference was where it was placed in the "elements" list.

That can't make a difference can it?

Yep.

I moved the original label from the top of the list to the bottom and BOOM - it works as well.

Moved it back and fourth to test again... and the result is:
    top of elements list = label broken. ("Walk To" in front of item's name)
    bottom of elements list = label works! (just item's name displayed)

Has this got something to do with the drawing order?
    Is it expected behaviour?

Seems a bit flakey to me. :)
  • edited May 2018
    Welcome to the community, @stustk.

There is indeed an inder-dependency between menus and menu elements, so their relative ordering does have an effect.

Update checks go down the menu stack, so anything you want to be updated last should be at the bottom.  You should find that the default interface (e.g. Demo_MenuManager) has its Hotspot menu listed last.

Though I will have to check to be sure, it could well be that the issue is that the "Verb line" element was mistakenly listed at the top.  Either way, as the label is purely visual, it's listed order won't have an effect on click behaviour / gameplay.
  • I've been through this more thoroughly, and having the "Walk to" prefix when hovering over an inventory item should not be occuring regardless of the Label element's order in the element stack.

This'll be fixed in the next release - thanks for pointing it out.
  • Great work! :)