Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timed Choices Setting in Options?

Hello,

Is there a way to control the speed of the timer for timed choices in the settings? I would like to include an option to be able to turn them off or change the speeds. I thought I would be able to just put in [var:10] into the timer and change it in the options menu but that doesn't seem to be the case. (I included this option in a previous game I made in Ren'py after it was requested by a couple of players with disabilities).

Sorry for the newbie question; I'm not very familiar with Unity yet.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Eldritch.

To be clear: are you referring to the "Is timed?" option for Conversations?

A Conversation's timer can be modified, but only through script.  Inside Conversation.cs, it's the timer float variable.  A custom script could therefore store this initial value, and multiply it by a factor:

http://pasteall.org/965367/csharp

If you then use a Global float Variable to act as the factor (between 0 and 1), you can then read its value and update all such scripts:

float factor = GlobalVariables.GetFloatValue (2); // Global float variable ID = 2
    ConvTimerChanger[] allTimeChangers = FindObjectsOfType <ConvTimerChanger>();
    foreach (ConvTimerChanger convTimeChanger in allTimeChangers)
    {
        convTimeChanger.SetTimerFactor (factor);
    }

Any Global Variable can have its Link to field set to Options Data, which means its value will be stored in your game's PlayerPrefs, as opposed to individual save files.  A Slider menu element can be mapped to a variable, and a custom Action or event can then be used to run the above code when it is changed by the user.

A tutorial on creating custom options can be found here.
  • The pasteall.org link no longer works?

• I believe this was it:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

[RequireComponent (typeof (Conversation))]
    public class ConvTimerChanger : MonoBehaviour
    {

private float initialTimer = -1f;
        private Conversation conversation;

public void SetTimerFactor (int factor)
        {
            if (initialTimer < 0f)
            {
                conversation = GetComponent <Conversation>();   
                initialTimer = conversation.timer;
            }
            conversation.timer = initialTimer * factor;
            conversation.isTimed = (conversation.timer > 0f);
        }

}

• Took me a while to realize that Conv Timer Changer had to be attached to every conversation that had a timer. (Even after a year, when this was originally posted, I'm still terrible with the code side of Unity...)

Thank you for all your help.