Forum rules - please read before posting.

Camera following character when constrains are applied - Camera switching

edited May 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hi guys, hi Chris. Aldo here, new to the forum and to Adventure Creator. Nice to meet you all.
I have a pretty easy set up where the character changes room without changing actual scene. I want a "going through the wall" effect, which would be pretty easy with just a "Teleport to marker" of the Character and the camera following. The problem is that the camera has a few constrains and can't follow it to the other room. So I'm opting for a "Camera Switch", I hope this is the best solution.

All works pretty fine, I'm happy with the animation, if it wasn't for a "glitch" that the camera does when jumping from NavCam1 to the original position of NavCam2 (video attached). I'm attaching the "Door: Go To" ActionList screenshot as well.

Is there a better way to do this? For example:
A - Easiest: Modify NavCam1 constrains on the fly, with the constrains I want for the second room (and vice-versa when going back);
B - Patch: Make NavCam2 start its route from NavCam1's latest position;

Thank you very much in advance!

Aldo

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @AldoAndriani.

You can certainly modify the camera's constraints at runtime.  The properties of the GameCamera that you can change in script can be found in the Scripting Guide here.

Here's a sample script (ChangeCameraConstraints.cs) that you can place in your scene to switch between two sets of X and Z constraints:

To use it, add it to a GameObject in your scene (even the camera itself), and fill in the Inspector fields.  Then use the Object: Call event Action to run its UseConstraintA / UseConstraintB methods when entering/exit the other room.
  • Amazing Chris! Thank you!
    I was actually using two scripts to control the camera (GameCamera and GameCamera2D), so with my poor coding skills I ended up with this version of your sample code:

Now the animation is cool but pretty quick. Do you have any suggestions on how I can slow it down?

Thank you!
  • At the moment the constraints are changed, the camera becomes "out-of-bounds", so moves to keep within them according to its Follow speed field (the dampSpeed float).

A camera can be made to snap instantly to its "rest" position by calling its MoveCameraInstant() method - you may need to call that after changing its constraints.

Also: is switching the player prefab necessary?  If all you're looking to do is move the player, you can use the Object: Teleport Action.
  • Off-topic, but also: if you're going for a retro/pixel aesthetic, consider checking the Retro-style movement option in your Player component for a less "floaty" feel.  See the "Retro movement" Manual chapter for more on what this does.
  • Thank you Chris! Implementing teleport and dampSpeed was exactly what was needed! Now the animation is smooth and seamless.
    I tried retro-style movement but it usually results in the player getting stuck at some corner of the Navigation mesh for a few seconds during the path.
  • Do they have a non-trigger collider attached?  That's not usually necessary with 2D games, and can result in such behaviour if your scene also has colliders.