Forum rules - please read before posting.

Change color of text when hovering dialog option

Hello! Been playing with AC and I'm wondering if it is possible to make my dialog options look like this:

Thank you!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @TabiqueMalevolo.

AC typically displays each line of text in a separate Subtitles menu, but it's possible to do this with a bit of custom scripting.  This is necessary due to the fine control over things e.g. how large the menu can expand to, what happens to "spillover" text at the top, etc.

What you can do is hook into the OnStartSpeech custom event, which is called whenever a speech line is triggered and gives you access to the speaker, display text etc.  For a tutorial on using this, see here.

You can then use this to modify the contents of a Text component in a Unity UI Canvas accordingly.
  • Thank you!!
    Oh my. I guess I really have to learn some basics of C#
    Would that be the same advice to just make the color of the text change when hovering a dialog option?

• edited May 2018
    Fortunately, that's a lot easier.  If your DialogList element is rendered with Adventure Creator, then you can adjust the Text colour (highlighted) field directly in the Menu Manager.

If it's rendered with Unity UI, then the equivalent is to adjust the Transition settings in the UI Button component.

The default Conversation menu is compatible with both AC and Unity UI rendering.  I'd recommend relying on that until you're familiar enough with the menu system before relying on custom events to customise things.
  • Awesome! I did it! thank you! And thank you so much for the quick responses.

One more question hehe, do you know why some of my subtitles disappear like this?

My settings are these

Thanks in advance!

• It's not a behaviour I can recreate.  What's your AC version number, and what is the exact chain of Actions surrounding this?

It's not clear from the gif if it's appearing in the wrong position before or after it's shown properly.

You could try adding a slight Fade transition time to it, but you're probably best off switching to Unity UI for your menu's display, since AC's built-in menu display mode is more suited for prototyping.  Info on using Unity UI for your Menus can be found in the Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter.