Forum rules - please read before posting.

Switching from Visionaire

Hi people, 

after almost 4 years working with Visionaire Studio engine i've found myself frustrated with it's limitations even though it's a great engine and there's still more and more features. So i'm hoping to find what i want in Adventure Creator. I'm doing 2D.

I'm hoping you could answer me just a few quick questions.
1. How much is AC customizable? Can you mix it with basic Unity functions/features?
Maybe for custom dialogue system or a special way an inventory is animated. Or anything custom for that matter.
2. Can you have both mouse & keyboard character movement conrolling at the same time?
3. Can you add audio filters like echo or muffle to a specific charaters or scenes?
4. Specify if a character's text is displayed (when 2 character's are speaking at the same time - maybe NPC saying stuff somewhere in backgound)

Thanks

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Keks.

1. How much is AC customizable? Can you mix it with basic Unity functions/features?

Certainly.  While AC can be used "on its own" to create an adventure game, it doesn't try to fight or control or compete with Unity's underlying systems.  You can write your own custom Actions that work alongside AC's provided ones; your interface, movement code, and animation engine can all be replaced with custom code if necessary; and you can also simply bolster AC's provided features via the custom event system.

Custom events allow you to run your own code whenever AC performs common tasks - for example, whenever a character speaks (as covered in this tutorial).  With the necessary C# knowledge, you have a lot more flexibility in how things are done.

For a proper overview of what options you have so far as adding custom code goes, see the "Integrating new code" chapter of the Manual.

2. Can you have both mouse & keyboard character movement conrolling at the same time?

The two can't be used at literally the same time, but you can switch between them depending on keyboard input.  A script to achieve this has been posted on the commuinty wiki here: http://adventure-creator.wikia.com/wiki/Combining_PointAndClick_with_Direct_Movement_Methods

If you want a tighter "hybrid" of the two, you can set your game's "Movement method" to "None" and have your player be controlled by a custom script that calls the various methods available in the Char() script - see its entry in the Scripting Guide, as well as the "Custom motion controllers" chapter of the Manual.

3. Can you add audio filters like echo or muffle to a specific charaters or scenes?

Unity allows for audio filters via its Audio Mixer feature, which AC can rely on if desired - see the Manual's "Sounds" chapter for more.

4. Specify if a character's text is displayed (when 2 character's are speaking at the same time - maybe NPC saying stuff somewhere in backgound)

With the custom event system mentioned above you could code things completely fresh if desired, but AC's own Subtitles menus can be limited to only display when e.g. background speech is playing, spoken only by specific characters etc.  For more on this, see the Manual's "Displaying subtitles" chatper.
  • Thanks for all the info. I think you've got a new AC user ;)