Forum rules - please read before posting.

A way to find all scene switching actions in a project?

Hi there,

Is there a handy way to list all places in a scene where the AC action is called to switch to a new scene? I need to change the way scenes are changed in my project, where it's currently being changed by scene number, but I have to change it to switch by scene name instead.

Does anyone have a handy solution for how I can either change this en mass, or how I can identify all the actions that need changing? There are litterary thousands of actions in hundres of action lists in my project so having to manually scour each one for these will not just be a pain, but also a huge risk for missing one and thus breaking things.

Any solution to this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The Actions Manager can be used to find all instances of a given Action either in the scene, or project-wide.  A script could be written to make modifications if necessary, but if it'd be worth it depends on how many such Actions need changing.
  • Thanks for the quick response Chris!

I've tried using the Actions Manager to search both scene and/or project-wide but nothing actually happens when I click those buttons - where is the information supposed to be populated? Or what is the expected to happen when I click this button in a scene?

Thanks again!
  • The information is displayed in the Unity Console, so you'll need to have that open (Window/Console or Ctl+Shift+C) in order to see the results
  • Hey HarryOmnious, thanks for the reply. Have the console open but it doens't print out anything to it (set to show informational/warnings/errors).

Tried with a few different actions, and "search local instances" doesn't seem to print anything to console.
  • There are a couple of possibilities. The most likely is that you've inadvertently set "Show Logs in Console" (which appears at the bottom of AC's "Settings" under "Debug settings") to "Never"

The other possibility is that you may have turned off the display of information messages in the Console itself. If any numbers appear against the icons in the top right of the Console when you run the search then that indicates that it has messages to display

When you run your game normally you should get a message in the console saying something like "Player Prefs key xxx Loaded". If that message isn't appearing then that would indicate that one of the above is the problem

Otherwise I'm a bit stumped. All I can say is that the feature (which is extremely useful as a project grows in size) works fine for me
  • edited July 2018
    That did the trick! The "Show Logs in Console" was set to "Only warnings or Errors", and once I changed that to "Always" it worked perfect!

Thanks so mcuh!
  • Which AC version are you working with?  The latest should cause Console messages to display regardless of that option, provided your game is not running at the time.
  • I don't have the information to hand as I'm typing this, but it's quite a few versions off the latest one at this stage.