Forum rules - please read before posting.

Flickering menus when triggering interaction - only UnityUI

Hi

I've noticed that when there are multiple menus on the screen and you trigger an interaction (e.g. use a hotspot), they all flicker for just a second (fade in and out very quickly). It's strictly a cosmetic visual issue but I'm wondering why it happens and if one can do something about it. I noticed it only affects Unity UI menus but not Adventure Creator style menus. 

Thanks

Sel

Comments

• In which AC/Unity versions, and what are the Appear type and Transition type settings of the Menus in question?

If set to During Gameplay, then the Menus will turn off whenever the game runs a gameplay-blocking ActionList - even if that ActionList only lasts a frame.

If your Interaction ActionList only runs momentarily, consider setting its When running field to Run In Background, so that it does not block gameplay.

Otherwise, let me know the contents of the ActionList as well as the details above.  It's not clear if the Menus technically should be closing, since I don't know how long the ActionLists are actually running for.
  • Setting that field to "run in background" did it. Thank you!
  • Hi Chris, I have the same issue and for now I can't figure out how to fix it.
    All my menus are set to Unity UI. The inventory button menu Appear type is set to During Gameplay. When I click on any Hotspot in the scene it starts flickering. I've tried to set ActionLists function When running to Pause Gameplay or Run In Background but both are not fixing the flickering.

• Actually, I found out what the problem was. Inside my Actinlist there are Actions that run another Actionlists (Source: Asset File) and they all were set to Pause Gameplay. I'v changed them to Run In Background and it flickering disappeared.

• edited March 2023

~~ Hi Chris, sorry to bring up an old post but I'm having a similar issue. I've just switched my Inventory menu from AC to Unity UI and now buttons are flickering during Pause Gameplay cutscenes (they need to be set like that, I cannot change) even if Menu Appear Type is set to Manual.
    Any suggestion? Thanks a lot. ~~

Edit: turns out it wasn't an AC glitch. Leave the solution here in case it may help someone else: solved by setting UI buttons transition to none