Forum rules - please read before posting.

Containers / item combinations

I have an issue with getting the container screen to work like I want. Essentially, I have some items that can be combined with one another (using a one click interface, one click selects the item, and then, dropping the item on top of another item combines both of them). My main issue is that I don't want this to be possible whenever the container screen is being used, as I want that to be strictly for transferring items back and forth.

My first idea to solve this was to check the state of the container menu in my combination actionlist itself (the one that handles the combination between the two items, removing the old ones, adding a new one, etc). The idea was that, if the container menu is visible, it would not trigger the combination actions. However, when trying it now in a container window, if I pick an item in my inventory and drop it on another item in my inventory, while it doesn't combine them any longer, it closes the container window and leaves one of the items as the selected item. If I do the same thing with items that have no combination interaction defined, nothing at all happens (which is what I want to achieve with every item when I'm in a container window).

What would be the best way to achieve what I want? That is, no reaction at all when clicking on items with other items while in a container window, even in cases where they normally have defined combination interactions.

Thanks!

Sel

Comments

• Is your Container menu set up to pause the game when enabled?  There is currently a bug that causes such menus to be turned off when a "combine" interaction is triggered - though a fix is included in the upcoming v1.64.0 update.

Are you relying on the default Container interface (or a variant of), so that you have two InventoryBox elements - one for the Container's inventory, one for the Player's?
  • No, it's not set up to pause the game when enabled. Even so, combine interactions still close the menu down, even when I make an exception on each of these actions to do nothing if the container menu is visible.

Would there be some more general way to turn off all combine interactions when the container menu is open? This would be even more ideal, as each combine action wouldn't have to have an exception for if the container menu is open. That being said, it isn't working the way we intend even doing that.

To give more information, we're using "multiple" inventory interactions normally, but switch to single whenever the container is opened (in order for the container menu to just pick up items upon left clicking them, in order to move them back and forth between both containers, and disallow any other actions being possible to perform on the items when using the container menu. This all works well. The main issue is that clicking one item on the other, when they have defined combine interactions, closes the container menu down. This does not happen when there are no defined combine interactions.

The interface we're using right now is the default one with ContainerGrid and InventoryGrid.

• I agree that it's more user-friendly to prevent interactions when moving items to/from the Container.

While this could be done by setting the InventoryBox element's type to Custom Script (and scripting the behaviour manually), I think it'd be convenient to add a "Disallow regular interactions" option to its properties.  I'll look into this as part of the next release.
  • Thank you!