Forum rules - please read before posting.

Input stops working if I switch tranlsation

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
I've multiple input fields.

When I click on the keyboard the letter appears on the input field if the game language is set as "Original" (or default language).

If I go to options and switch to another language the input doesn't work anymore.
I click on any key on the keyboard (backspace included) but nothing changes.

The default text on the input screen is there and I see it correctly. I can also click on the input field and it recognize to be selected.

Still they keyboard seems not to be recognized.

I noticed also the following (not sure if it's related):
- Input field start with default text (original language) 
- I change the input text from "default text" into "new text"
- I switch to another language
- When I return to the input field I see still the "default text" (in the translated language) and not the "new text"

(I tried this with different options, enabling and disabling right to left and space allowed)

Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much, as always!

Comments

• Can't recreate this.  The language shouldn't affect the box not being active, and in my own tests it works fine.

We'll
    have to do a bit of experimenting on your end, if you don't mind.  Open
    up PlayerMenus.cs and make the variable selectedInputBoxName (declared
    on line 35) public, instead of private.  That should list it in the
    script's inspector, which is in the PersistentEngine prefab.  Compare
    it's value between when it works, and doesn't work, and let me know the
    result.
  • edited September 2014
    I changed the value on line 35 in PlayerMenus.cs, that is selectedInputBoxMenuName (and not selectedInputBoxName, so and I changed also selectedInputBox) and I noticed just one thing, in both the working and non-working input.

selectedInputBoxName always shows (MenuInput)
    selectedInputBoxMenuName shows always the previous selected menu, and not the current one.
    So if I go to "Options" menu and then to "Name" menu it still shows "Options", and sometimes is more weird, like for example it selects for just a moment the next menu and then it select the previous one again.
    But this applies also when the input is working, so I suspect this is not the issue.

(My Options menu has input fields)

In general it has the following behaviour:
    1) Click on Options menu -> selectedInputBoxMenuName = Options
    2) Click on Name menu -> selectedInputBoxMenuName = Options
    3) Click on Options menu -> selectedInputBoxMenuName = Name
    4) Click on Name menu -> selectedInputBoxMenuName = Options
    And so on.

But I noticed one other thing.
    It seems the input is actually reading the key, but it doesn't show it in the input field (if translation is not set as original). It shows it when I switch back on the original translation.

Let me show an example. 
    I enter in the menu input (arabic translation)
    I click on the input field and I write something, but nothing shows up.Then I go to options and switch back to original language.If I go in the same menu I can see the words I clicked (in this case, just aaaaaaaa).
    I think it could be a matter of fonts or something related to the Arabic Fixer code I was using so I retried disabling both, but it is still not working.
  • Still, I think it's worth keeping your additions out of it until we can find a fix for this - just to make sure it's isolated.

Send my a copy of *just* your MenuManager and SettingsManager assets - it'll be easier for me to see the problem this way.