Forum rules - please read before posting.

[REQUEST] Variable Type: Game Object

I’ve been integrating Playmaker into my AC project because Playmaker allows Game Object variables, but I much prefer working in AC instead of Playmaker. After diving into Playmaker I realized how much easier and stable AC is! I’ve been programming in Playmaker for only a couple of weeks but frankly the PM-AC integration is not working well and it’s creating more erratic behavior in my game than I thought it would. Please consider adding Game Objects as a variable type in the future. Thank you!

Comments

• I don't see a need for that so far as AC goes - what you're asking for is a wholly new AC feature so that you can hook it up to a separate asset.  I can understand your feeling, but I need to consider its impact on AC first and foremost.

What is the actual scenario you're looking to solve here?  There may be an alternative approach.
  • Hi,
    For one scene I have a puzzle in my AC game that is a grid of 10 objects that have to be re-arranged in order. Using Playmaker, I was able to program the swapping of game objects using Game Object variables (storing each selected game object as variables then performing the transforms based on variable names). In AC, there are actions that allow for transforming the game objects via parameters but I can't find a way to specify the game object by variables.
  • If all you're needing to do is transfer a PM GameObject variable to an AC Action, there's no need to use an AC variable as an interim.  As you've seen, the Action fields can be set through parameters - so you just need to connect the PM GameObject variable to your parameter.

This can be done through simple script, e.g.:

Have a test by placing it in the scene on a new empty GameObject, assigning the Inspector values, and using the Object: Call event Action to run its TransferToActionList function.

The upcoming AC update will introduce a new custom event that is called whenever an ActionList is run - allowing you to modify parameter values just before they're used.  It'll then be possible to modify the above script to run whenever the ActionList itself is triggered - bump this thread once it's out and I'll amend it.
  • mekmek
    edited October 2018
    @ChrisIceBox
     Bump for information on the new custom event mentioned above!

I am looking for instructions on how to get a parameter from an actionlist, then get that gameobject's parent, and return a new parameter before the actionlist runs.
  • edited October 2018
    @mek: It's in the latest release as OnBeginActionList.

Here's how you'd use it to do something like that: