Forum rules - please read before posting.

Deleted Journal Entries Are Getting Added to The Journal

edited September 2018 in Technical Q&A
I've got some journal entries that were previously deleted and are being added to the Journal via Hotspot Interactions. They appear instead of the text that's actually supposed to be added to the Journal on the Hotspot interaction. I've used the Gather Text function to locate which scene they're in and their ID numbers, but I can't determine how to delete them for good. They are no longer referenced in the scene in any interaction so any advice on how to get them out of my project would be appreciated.

Comments

• Let's see some images - please show their entries in the Speech Manager (both the old and new pages) as well as the Hotspot Interaction ActionList that adds them.

Also, what are your AC and Unity version numbers?
  • AC: 1.64.5
    Unity: 2018.1.1

The following image has the 2 Journal entries that are added in the Scene "Maze" but they were initially from the Scene "Desk" and the HS Interaction has been deleted for some time now.

The following 2 images are from the Scene "Maze" where the HS Interaction that adds the pages to the Journal. However, it's adding the deleted text instead.

• So your Journal in-game is showing "METAL HANDLE" instead of "ENDLESS HALLWAY"?

The ID numbers don't match, so I can't see how they'd be getting used - regardless of whether they're included in the Speech Manager or not.  Does the "correct" text appear if you search by ID number (486) in the Speech Manager?

Are you, or have you in the past, been relying on translations?
  • Yes the correct text is in the Speech Manager, in the Maze scene (where it belongs). I haven't used translations. It's strange because I deleted the interactions that added those old Journal entries a few weeks ago, but they show up in the Journal in place of other entries (from other scenes). Unity has crashed several times while I was creating this game so perhaps it's just the result of one of those crashes. I am able to open the Desk.unity file inside TextEdit and I can see the old journal entries in the code. I am wondering if I could just cut out the code that has the old Journal entries, or will that break the game? My other thought is to recreate a new Journal so that the game won't have reference to the old one anywhere and maybe that will fix it. The Desk scene is one of the most complicated scenes in the game so I'd rather not recreate that if I don't have to. Thanks for helping me solve this riddle!
  • It shouldn't be in the scene file if the ActionList it was a part of was deleted - I'd guess it's related to Unity crashing.  By all means try cutting out the unused code - but definitely take a back up first!
  • Okay I'll give it a go. In looking at the raw text of the .unity file, does the actionlist that I need to cut out start with "--- !u!" or end with that flag? I'm not exactly sure where the code for the actionlist starts and stops.
  • Me neither, if I'm honest.  The way it gets converted to text in the .unity file is down to Unity, I'm afraid.  After backing up, I'd recommend removing as little as possible and then more if need be.
  • I removed the text that started with "---!u!" until the next occurrence of that same flag. The scene worked properly with those lines of codes remmoved. However, I was still running into issues with other scenes. My solution has been to re-create the Journal, delete the old Journal, and change the Hotspots to add Journal Entries to the new Journal. So far, so good in my tests!