Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animator turning problem

edited September 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hello all,
I have a problem with turning animations. My character have animation controller with animations (idle, walk left, right, rotate left etc...).  When I rotate my character by button (rotate animation is playing) and click on interaction (look, use etc.) at the same time - Turning variable in animator controller freezes at 1.0/-1.0, so animation is looped until ActionList's end.

I'm wondering is it possible to stop all animations when clicking on hotspot?
I tried [Disable movement when Interaction menus are on?] and [Stop player moving when click Hotspot?] but that doesn't affect Turning parameter.

Any ideas?

Comments

• What are your AC and Unity versions?  Let's also see your Settings Manager, Hotspot Inspector, and the Hotspot's Interaction ActionList.
  • AC is 1.63, Unity is 2018.2.1f1.
    Here is my settings:
    https://pasteboard.co/HDwBlmT.png

I don't paste Hotspot settings becouse that bug affects all hotspots with interactions.
    All hotspot settings are similar: no marker, limit to gameCamera, always have interctive boundary. No difference if Single 'Use', Turn To Face etc.

• I need to know why the character is moving/turning in the first place - is it due to the Hotspot Inspector, or the Interaction?  Please post the details I'm asking for - I cannot recreate the problem with what you've given.  Screenshots of your Player Inspector and Animator will also be of help.

In a backup/duplicate project, also try the latest AC release.
  • edited September 2018
    Player is moving/turning due to WASD/Arrow buttons. When I click on Hotspot -> Use (for example) while rotating character by buttons, player loops in turning animation.

I have separate animation when player turns in place (not moving, only turns).

I searched settings for something like "Stop animations when player click on hotspot" but found nothing.

This same thing occurs when player walks to trigger while character turns (Up+Left/Right arrow for example).

Here are pics (Player anf random Hotspot Inspector and Animator):
    https://pasteboard.co/HDECKVB.png
  • edited September 2018
    I compared my settings with Default demo project, step by step, and the problem was in my Animator Controller setup and [Disable movement when interaction menus are on?] setting. If this option is enabled and Turning float is different than 0 when clicking on Hotspot, this parameter freezes at his last set value (so animator stops/loops at "Turning float " based state if outgoing transition condition also dependent on this parameter).

Is it possible to enable only -1.0f/0/1.0f values when turning? Without interpolation?
    Something like binary system: click arrow - 1/1. Release arrow - 0.0f. 
  • You'd previously said that the option made no difference.  To be clear, is the "Turning" parameter only freezing when Interaction menus are showing?

I can recreate the issue if the option is checked, and will address that.

To enable only -1/0/+1 values, you can create a second "SnapTurning" parameter in your Animator, and attach a custom script to set it based on the regular Turning float parameter, i.e.:

• edited September 2018
    I didin't notice the different earlier, sorry about that. : )

Yes, with option enabled only "Turning" parameter is freezing. When you go straight ("Speed" parameter sets to 1.0f) and click on Hotspot, "Speed" sets to 0.0 instantly.

Thanks for advice, I will try it.

Cheers!
  • Recreated, will address in the next release - thanks for the details.