Forum rules - please read before posting.

Translating string variables

Hi!

I have a string variable that shows up in the gametext file and it contains text that should be translated to different languages, but when I import the csv and select the other language the string is empty. It only shows what I've typed in the editor with the original language. Is this a bug or something I should be doing differently?

This is how it is set up. https://imgur.com/a/GpwFczF

Comments

• Can't recreate, I'll need some more info.
    1. What are your AC and Unity versions?
    2. What's the appearance of the Variable's entry in the Speech Manager - is the translation importing correctly there?
    3. Is the "AQuestionsText" variable itself translateable?
    4. How are you displaying the final string value?
    5. The Variable: Copy Action is recommended when transferring variable values from one to another.
  • Thanks for the quick respons! You rock and rule!

1. 1.64.5 and 2018.2.1f1 (Updating tomorrow)

2. The variable strings does not show up in the Speech manager

3. Yes

4. I have a AC Menu showing during conversation with a Label element with Label Text field set to [var:36] which is the "AquestionsText" global variable, that gets the string input from a local string variable.

5. I will give this a try if there is no other workaround :)
  • It sounds like 2) is the problem, then.  What do you mean by they aren't showing up?  Does the original String show up, but not the translations - or does nothing show at all?

A screenshot showing the entry within the Speech Manager would be best.
  • edited September 2018
    Heres a picture that tells it much better than me! I did notice that changing the Type filter to variable that it does show up there as it should, so now I'm very confused why it won't show in-game when changing the language..

https://imgur.com/a/OHc5zSJ
  • Indeed - you need to set the correct type filter for it to display in the Speech Manager.  Your screenshot shows it set to "Speech", so it won't show up.

The "raw" image on the left, however, shows that the first translation has non-english text - but that it also has 6 additional lines in English.  Does your game really have 8 languages (including the original)?  What is the index number of the language you're testing?

You can test if the translation is actually working by manually modifying the text in the "Translation text" drop-down in the left image.
  • Thank you for your help again, Chris! I found the problem and it was in the translators CSV file where they had not included the [var:1] and such, so they were emtpy and thus couldn't be shown in-game. So everything works as intented!