Forum rules - please read before posting.

Issues with Journal pages and Gather Text

Recently I've started having issues with my Journal entries not showing up after I Gather Text. Most entries show up but not new ones.

I'm using an actionlist to add 6 pages to the Journal and each one shows this in the console:

"The new Journal page has no ID number, and will not be included in save game files - this can be corrected by clicking 'Gather text' in the Speech Manager"

Of course I tried Gather Text but afterward the new entries don't show up in the Speech Manager. Neither does the default text I entered into the Journal on Page#1 (although it shows Text ID #740)

The result if that these pages aren't being saved in the Journal which is undesirable.

I am using a Unity UI Prefab for the Journal with a properly Linked Canvas Prefab. I have also noticed that my Linked Text field reverts back to "None" even though it works properly and has a Recorded Constant ID that matches the Text Box in the prefab. This hasn't seemed to cause problems in the past, so I just ignore that issue.

However the Journal entries not showing up in the Speech Manager is a new issue for entries I've added since the update to AC 1.65.0.

Could that be the culprit?

AC: 1.65.0
Unity: 2018.2.10f1

Comments

• I just used Reset Text and then Gather All Text in an attempt to get it working again. Now I have "Gathered 0 lines of text." when before the reset I had 540 lines of text.
  • edited October 2018
    The "Linked Text" field reverts back to "None" because you assign a local instance of the prefab which gets removed - but not before the ID is recorded.  You can safely ignore this behaviour.

v1.65 made changes to the way game text is gathered, but I can't recreate this issue.  Is the ActionList that contains the new pages scene-based, or an asset file?  Is all other text correctly gathered?
  • I thought I might be able to just copy the "working" Add Journal interactions to the actionlist that contains the Journal entries that aren't being gathered but doing "Copy Selected" and then "Paste Copied" doesn't do anything.
    I'm thinking this has more to do with my recent upgrade to 1.65.0.

How do I downgrade to a previous version of the AC Asset? I haven't found anything online that explains how to do that.

• edited October 2018
    To prevent duplication issues in the Speech Manager, copying Actions does not transfer a recorded ID value.

As the release notes always state, you should backup your project before an upgrade - but you can PM me in private for a link to the previous release.

However, if this is an issue with v1.65.0, then it shall be dealt with.  I will need answers to my previous questions to help me do that though.

Please also let me know if you have any Documents defined.
  • Thanks Chris. I use Time Machine so I have several backups of my project and always do a new TM backup before upgrading.

• The Actionlist is scene based, and was called by a Hotspot interaction. I tried deleting the actionlist altogether and adding the Journal pages inside the Hotspot interaction instead, but it still isn't showing up in Gather Text.

• For some odd reason the Gather Text function doesn't find any text anymore (even the text it had found before). I'm going to experiment with an older backup and see if it works on one of those.

However I'm concerned that maybe there's a bug that's causing my issues with Speech Manager and I'm nearing the end of my beta testing. It might be coincidence but it seemed to start after I upgraded. I will PM you for an older version.

Thanks!
  • PS I don't have any Documents defined in the project