Forum rules - please read before posting.

Does AC write Inventory Item Properties in its save files?

edited October 2018 in Technical Q&A
Custom properties for inventory items are pretty great.
I use them to have a description to gathered in the game.
But I also have items (a good handful) that have various states (variable wise) that can dynamically change depending on in-game events. And to keep track of this in a tidy and an easy way, I thought of using that feature for the inventory items (using a popup in this case) as opposed of using Global Variables that get easily lost in a growing huge list.

However, I noticed that after loading a save file with item properties that were changed runtime, these didn't seem to have been saved.
Did I forget something to setup? Does AC actually save item properties that are changed during runtime?

Unity 2017.1.03f - AC 1.65.0

Comments

• No, it doesn't - inventory properties are designed to be read-only.

You could, however, incorporate this with a custom script - see this tutorial.
  • Thanks!
    I followed that tutorial.
    What I did then is that I gathered all the dynamic Inventory Item properties into a AC.GVar list, used the AC.SaveSystem.CreateVariablesData method and stored the resulted string in a Global Variable before saving.
    Then the string is parsed back into Inventory Item property values after the loading is finished.

So far it works fine.