Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible to encrypt savegames?

Hi there,

It seems that some of my players are "hacking" variables contained in .save files.

I'm aware that its format is binary, not plain text, but they're using this web page...:

https://www.saveeditonline.com/

...that its capable of reading them regardless.

Not that I mind much about people cheating, but they're touching variables that they should not and later on reporting "bugs" based on those unwanted modifications.

So, would it be possible for a future version to include an encryption option when saving files?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Good question!

Custom save formats are already possible by creating a new class implementation of iFileFormatHandler.  It'd be possible to create a new format that supports encryption.

For more, see the Manual's "Custom save formats and handling".  Essentially, you'd do the following:
    1. Duplicate the binary format script (FileFormatHandler_Binary), rename it and have it override the default in the way shown in the Manual
    2. Incorporate encryption into the SerializeObject method
    3. Incorporate decryption into the DeserializeObject and LoadScriptData methods
  • Ah, so it's possible with some due work, hehe. Okay, thank you!
  • Encryption solutions are available on the Asset Store and possibly github etc.  I shouldn't think it'd be too much work if you managed to get an encryption method from elsewhere.