Forum rules - please read before posting.

Saving and loading issue where dialogue is invisible

So, my game doesn't have traditional "gameplay" and is essentially just a long series of ActionLists (it's a game based around conversations and onscreen dialogue). This has made saving and loading tricky as - from what I can gather - you can't save and load a game in a normal ActionList. My workaround was to make an integer variable (PositionInGame) which is set to a specific number at the end of every main ActionList as a way of tracking player progress. I've converted the most important ActionLists to cutscenes and set them to autosave after. When the game is loaded, OnLoad reads PositionInGame and then triggers the appropriate ActionList cutscene. 

It seems to be at least partially working. If I open the ActionList being loaded by OnLoad in the ActionList editor window, I can see that it's been loaded correctly and the game is working through the various actions. The problem I'm having is that no dialogue is displayed at all. The ActionList acts as though it is, and clicking on the screen moves through the dialogue actions as it should, but there's nothing displayed on the screen.

I'm using UnityUI for all onscreen elements, and all the other UI elements in the game are correctly loaded. The dialogue menu and UI elements don't have any strange or unique settings.

I'm using the newest version of AC (1.65.2) and Unity 2017.3.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• As an aside, it'd probably be more manageable to create a separate "save progress" ActionList asset that both updates the variable and writes to the AutoSave file.  The variable's value could be set through a parameter, and you could then simply run this asset any time you want to save progress.

As for the issue itself, do the subtitles display if you switch your Menu's Source property back to Adventure Creator?  How about if you switch your Menu Manager asset file to Demo_MenuManager and set that Subtitle Menu's Source to Unity Ui Prefab?

What's the state of your own UI prefab when this occurs?  Is it listed in the Hierarchy, and disabled?  Enabled but invisible?  Is the Text component that displays the subtitle text being updated?  Please share details / screenshots where appropriate.