Forum rules - please read before posting.

How free are players?

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I was just thinking, how free can I place or move the player? Let's say for e.g. the player is an astronaut and he's in the deep space, floating around, no ground. Is this possible? Or a player who's fallen in the ocean, maybe he's a diver? In the manual it says, that I need a collider box, to prevent the player from falling down. I don't want him falling, I want him floating. Can I let him fly around freely?

What if I want to have a first person view and I want the player to move to where I touch the hotspots?

Ok,I hope you get the idea :)

Comments

• If you want pathfinding, yes - you need a ground for the player.  However, it is possible to create Paths that ignore the effects of gravity, but you'd need to create these in your scene before the game is run.  You'd then have to use the Character: Move along Path Action to move the player around in specific ways, instead of relying on the normal method of pathfinding (moving freely around the scene).

Mind that you'd have to create a Path for every combination of start/destination point, but if you don't have that many Hotspots in your scene it shouldn't be too tricky.  You could use a Variable that determines where the player currently is, to run the correct Path Action.

• ok, so if I understand you correctly, a fps in free space is not possible (or some sort of free minecraft movement where I can do what I want.), but following some sort of funny 3d-path is?

• edited October 2014

I'll look into adding an option to allow for "floating movement" in the Character: Move to point Action for the upcoming 1.39 release, but Minecraft-style free-movement is different from what I thought you were asking about - the ability to point-and-click on Hotspots to move automatically.

If you're making an FPS game, know that AC is also compatible with the UFPS asset, which may well have a "free movement" option, but I would check with that asset's site first.

• edited October 2014
    "... but Minecraft-style free-movement is different from your initial post..."

Yes, I know :), I'm just evaluating the possibilities right now. Trying to understand what goes and what not.

Wanting my game to run on an iPad, fps-style movement isn't what goes best with adventure games imho. 

My intendant  movement style would be 'Move to point Action'. But from a players viewpoint. So I would need to be able to 'look around' (turning my head) with a drag gesture.

• That's possible for sure - when using First Person movement combined with Touch Screen input, you have the option of drag gestures affecting either the position or rotation of the camera.

As for the "Character: Move to point" Action, it was upgraded in the recent 1.39 release.  If you uncheck "Pathfind?", you'll get the option to make the Character float towards the point.
  • Very cool and thanks for your super fast implementation.