Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dialogue Issues

Hey folks! I've been having a lot of fun working in AC, but seem to be hitting a wall with a few things on my customized speech bubble. I've searched around the forum but am not finding any answers.
For context here is a vid: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dc-v1Xr4XgnnsOjWio13RYhhHzpQYYu-/view?usp=sharing

1. I have a lovely scale up animation that I've added to the prefab, however the animation only seems to play at the very beginning of the convo and the very end. My question is if it would be possible to set it to play anytime the speech would change to a different character?

2. I seem to be having an issue when the bubble switches characters it will have one frame where the bubble will be the size of the previous dialogue. It happens very quick but you can definitely tell in the video there is a hiccup in that motion. (This actually might be a non issue after fixing #1)
    Also here is a screenshot since it's hard to pause in the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ul-Xt7u7hs34kAvDBbcILYRT5Itap1NK/view?usp=sharing

3. In the video you can see I have a little indicator on the dialogue bubble with a next arrow on it. I am hoping that it would be possible to have an appear animation on that which is set off as soon as the line of dialogue is done (when the last character is shown). Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere to make this happen or if this would need a new script or a script edit to accomplish?

Let me know if screenshots of any of my Unity setup is needed to understand. :smile:

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @JaJitsu.

I'm assuming that you're using Unity UI for your subtitle display. What are your Unity and AC version numbers?

1) and 2) should both be addressed by checking Duplicate for each line? within your Subtitle menu's list of properties. This causes each line to rely on its own instance of the menu, so that each is treated completely separately.

For 3), yes - you'd need a custom script as this is would be a unique behaviour and not something that can be easily made into a configurable option. However, AC includes a system called custom events, which provide "hooks" for you to run your own code when AC performs common tasks.

One of these events is called OnCompleteSpeechScroll, which kicks in once speech scrolling has ended. This event contains parameters that you can use to get the Speech class, and then the Menu, involved. Let's say you want to show this animation by setting a Bool parameter on your Canvas root's Animator to True:

http://pasteall.org/1413480/csharp

Place that script either in your scene, or on the Canvas itself, and it should kick in at the right moment.

• Thank you! I am using Unity UI for the subtitle display.
    Unity version: 2017.3.1f1 (suppose I should update before I get too far into this prototype)
    AC version: 1.65.2

1 & 2: Oh gosh, such an obvious and easy fix, haha. Yep that instantly fixed those.

3: Ohh very nice! This sounds perfect. Definitely too sleepy now, but will try it out very soon. Thanks a ton for the help!