Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to flip animations w/o using Sprites Unity Complex?

edited December 2018 in Technical Q&A

Hi there, the character in my game has just one walk cycle & idle, both right-facing. I don't want directional animations, just left & right. I'd like to flip his animation for when he's walking or idling left, but 'Sprites Unity' won't allow this without having all the other directions animated too. I looked at the manual for switching to 'Sprites Unity Complex' & as someone who can't code... complex certainly is the right word. I don't really even know where to start, & on top of that there's a script I have to somehow plug in to somewhere & that already is way out of my league of understanding. ( I am but a simple artist who makes pretty pictures)

Is there not any other way I can simply flip animation? Its frustrating that in order to enable Frame Flipping, Multiple Directions HAS to be enabled.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Corey

Comments

• 2 years ago or so I had this same issue and never quite figured how to use sprites unity complex to set up a characters movement for ac. As far as I understand it.. if you do use sprites unity complex you cant just simply flip the animation at least when looking at the brain2d example that is using sprites unity complex it seems that way?.. since it appears each animation sheet image has been flipped and put into animator rather than flipping a right or left facing animation within unity. Am I wrong about this? Is there a way to flip the sheet using S.U.C.. (haha.. good acronym.)

Ultimately sprites unity complex you'd have to put in values so when the character faces such and such direction/angle then whatever animation then plays.. whether its left or right facing (if you dont want up and down animations.. or if you do youd just add those angles as well right?.) When i ran across this a couple years back I ended up giving up and just using the 8 direction and just reusing my same right facing animation for up and down which worked but was still a bit weird..

Is there no way for a tutorial to be made on how to go about this? I've dug into sprites unity complex in the past as well as using the ac manual to try to figure this out but never managed to get it working. Seems like this is something that pops up frequently enough for people and ive seen people come and go who couldnt seem to figure this out.. there was a couple who did but didn't really provide much insight into how they got it working.

Would it be terribly complex to have a character setup for ac that uses sprites unity complex instead as its basis and heck one that some how can just flip the direction as well? Or at least a tutorial on how the brain2d demo example that does use sprites unity complex was made? Unless there is one.. but if there is i sure as heck cant find it and the manual info about it is helpful, but still confusing if you are newer to all this.

Thanks! Sorry couldnt be of more help siskavard!

• Sprites Unity Complex mode doesn't allow for frame flipping. This mode is actually more in line with "Unity best practice", as it controls your animation playback via Animator parameters - as opposed to automatically by name.

How exactly you use Complex mode is down to you - the fact that it's parameter-based means that you can pick and choose what you want, to animate your character however you like. It's all using Unity's workflow, and the Brain2D_SpritesUnityComplex example demonstrates one way you can do it - but there's no "set way" on how to do it because the needs of each character/project are different.

Going back to @siskavard's original question, frame-flipping is only available when "multiple directions" is enabled, because otherwise the character has no concept of left/right.

The actual effect of the frame-flipping, however, is actually very simple - and can be recreated via an add-on script if disabled on the Player/NPC Inspector:

http://pasteall.org/1439679/csharp

• The complex way is just too complicated. When I was searching the forums for a solution to this, I found others who were asking basically the same thing that I was & were told to just use Sprites Unity Complex.

It looks like a lot of your users get stuck here ( how to have custom walking directions ) & either give up or just plug in duplicate walk animations for every direction (which is pretty wasteful)

I really love how easy everything else in Adventure Creator is EXCEPT how to have custom walking directions. It seems odd that everything else is so customizable & EASY, except for this.

I know nothing is easy to implement, however I would strongly suggest a way for users to add their own custom walking directions, instead of only having two options - the default ones or "just use Sprites Unity Complex" (which is super complicated)

I'd love to give more feedback about it should you decide to start developing something like this. I think it would make the best asset in the Unity store even better!

Cheers,
    Corey
  • Thank you for your feedback, I will take it into account.