Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventories, multiple inventories, drop/pickup/access bag etc

Hi, wanting to know several things about inventory management.

• Multiple inventories per playable character
  • Graphics per inventory? i.e. pockets as one, a bag as the other. And both at times
  • Player pick up and put down inventory
  • One player look-in and access another inventory?

Basically. I have 1 main player, he has a coat with pockets and a bag. At times the player puts his bag down for storyline reasons. I would like him to still have a limited inventory (hands? pockets?) but he and any other playable character to be able to access the bad inventory when on the floor, and be able to pick it up and access it normally again.

I'm not asking for how to do all this, just wondering if this is all relatively easily using AC? I will userguide, google and forum the individual elements when I get to needing this. I just want to be clear on what I can do. :smile:

Comments

• Likely not easily to get exactly the way you want, but should be possible - at least broadly. I'd recommend playing around with the features below before trying to implement it properly:

A character can only have one inventory on them. Items can, however, be categorised - and then InventoryBox elements (which display them) can be set to only display items in a given category.

This is more intended for cases where items should be naturally grouped differently (e.g. items vs spells), but - through scripting - it is possible to change an item's category, thereby changing the InventoryBox that it appears in.

Other playable characters can have their own inventories (just uncheck All Players share same Inventory? in the Settings Manager), and you can add/remove items to both active and inactive Players. This can be done through Actions, but it may be more appropriate to rely on scripting (see the Manual's "Inventory scripting" chapter) to make things more automatic. The click behaviour of InventoryBox elements can also be set through scripting through the use of the OnMenuElementClick custom event - see "Menu scripting" for more.

For a set of inventory items that sit in the scene (as in a bag on the floor), you can rely on the Container logic type. A Container can store items, and these items can be transferred to and from the active player. For more, see the Manual chapter of the same name.

• Thanks Chris.

What about a workaround which might actually be a better idea? Have a hotspot on the players bag which accesses a container for the bag contents. And his inventory is his pockets? But how would the player pick things up and choose what is in the container and whats in the bag?

I might give in and just have a regular inventory, its aesthetic really and not essential.

I am avoiding the use of coding as much as possible as I have to pay for help in for anything like that. Its unavoidable, I just want to minimise it and make as much progress as possible without.

• The default interface comes with a default "Container" menu, which will open when a container is opened via the Container: Open Action.

If you don't have it, set your Menu Manager asset file to Default_MenuManager and copy/paste it into your own.

This menu gives you the ability to transfer individual items between the Container and the player's Inventory - and can be restyled if necessary.