Forum rules - please read before posting.

Custom SortingMap not working with movement speed scaling

edited January 2019 in Technical Q&A

I wish to use my old implementation for SortingMaps that takes care or scaling, sprite sorting and movement speed.

The problem I am facing is that Char.cs is getting the scale and speed directly from SortingMap.cs, hence it does not change the speed depending on the scale nor does vertical movement speed factoring work(which is obvious, but still noteworthy).

In order to overcome this problem I would have to directly edit Adventure Creator code, which is not desirable. Deriving from the base class(SortingMap) and overriding/hiding needed functions is not possible since they are not virtual and mostly private.

Is there any solution to this without the need to alter Adventure Creator code?

Comments

• I'm happy to consider changing certain methods/variables to protected if it would help.

I'm not clear on what it is about Sorting Maps that you're looking to change, however. They do affect speed with scale, and vertical movement speed is accounted for.

• The current SortingMap is scaling only on the Y axis.
    We have some scene in which scaling on the X axis is needed as well. This is implemented via a generated mesh via triangulation from different points in the scene, allowing more precise scaling.

My colleagues managed to make it work. Apparently having Retro style movement turned on caused vertical movement factor to not work without SortingGroups.
    It's now working as it should.