Forum rules - please read before posting.

Any way to give a NPC name without creating an entire Character

There are some minor scene specific characters and it's kind of excessive to create an entire Character for a few dialogues.

Is there any way through which I can specify the character name?

Comments

• You can rename a character with the Character: Rename Action.

• But that still requires creating a character. Would it be possible to just supply a name for NPCs with one or two lines?

I know it's not possible in the current version but maybe in future?

• What are you trying to do, exactly? Just show the name of the speaker above a subtitle?

You don't have to supply a speaking character's name - you can create a Label element in the Subtitles menu and just write in the name directly. You can also rely on a String / PopUp global variable, and display that variable's value in a Label element. You can then set that variable's value, and hence the Label text, using a Variable: Set Action before the Dialogue: Play speech Action.

• Yes and that's a great idea. Thanks :)

• Hey I want to get in there, because I kinda want to do the same thing but I have no idea what to do here exactly. Because I have a telephone where you can call people from every scene and just need to change the speaker above the subtitle. I tried drilling into your code and make some alterations as I did with some other scripts, but I don't find the point where to inject my code and make the option to overwrite the label with a custom text.

• Label text is all handled within MenuLabel.cs.

See my post above: you can have a label element rely on a Global String variable for its value. This can be done either by setting the Label type to Global Variable, and defining the exact variable to display - or by setting it to Normal and using tokens to display the variable dynamically.

For example, the token [var:2] will display the value of the Global Variable with ID = 2. See the Manual's "Text tokens" chapter for more on this topic.