Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best approach to Conversations?

edited February 2019 in Technical Q&A

What's the best way to toggle options on a Conversation in a different scene?

From what I understand you could use some variables and for example: In Scene#1, when talking to a character you can change a bool updateConversation, and then in Scene#2 when talking to a different character, you can do Variable: Check and if =updateConversation= is true/false, toggle the options accordingly.

The problem is that I would try and avoid this, as my variable list is already getting super long. To tackle this problem, I found something called SyncConversations on the wikia page.

On paper, it does everything that I need. In practice, I keep running into really huge issues! The Conversation options keep changing in a weird manner, some options would turn off, some wouldn't, it's really hard to describe. I think I wasn't using the SyncConversation correctly, and now I'm trying to fix it, but I'm still wondering how reliable this script is.

Another problem, and I'm not sure if it's something to do with the SyncConversation script, but some Conversations share the same ConstantIDs and when talking to a character you would often get dialogue options from a totally unrelated Conversation! When it first happened, I just had to re-create the Conversation, so the ConstantID number would change, but now I'm seeing this behaviour throughout all Conversations, and it's becoming a big problem.

It's all a one huge mess, and I'm wondering what's the best way to toggle Conversations that are in a different scene. Any thoughts?

AC Version: 1.65.2
Unity: 2018.2.18f1

Edit:
I also seem to have problem when creating a new Conversation - any new conversation created already contains dialogue options from a different conversation!

Comments

• I also seem to have problem when creating a new Conversation - any new conversation created already contains dialogue options from a different conversation!

I suspect that you've applied changes you made to a Conversation back to the original prefab, in Assets/AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Logic. This can occur if you click "Apply" in your Conversation's Inspector.

To reset the Conversation prefab, re-import the file from the AC asset package via the Asset Store. You can disconnect a Conversation from its prefab via "GameObject -> Disconnect Prefab Instance" in the top toolbar. This occurs by default in 2018.3, given Unity's new prefab system.