Forum rules - please read before posting.

Reverse engineer navmesh into segments?

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi, 
I am very new to unity, and obv AC by extension so I am a bit stuck with navmeshes. 

I have bought a street asset from the unity asset store, and put a few navmesh segments on it following the tutorial (my previous test on a plane worked perfectly)  and when I came to bake the unity navmesh I found that the entire street had a navmesh on it; not sure where it came from, I can't find any mention of it is the asset or what wizardry creates it, but there it is.

But only the parts I have covered with the segments works. I remember from the tutorial that the segments are needed, but is there anyway to use the existing navmesh to create them? tracing around all the pillars and parked cars and raised pavements is really disheartening when it feels like the work already been done.

Comments

• Not that I'm aware of.  You may find the baked NavMesh in a folder next to your scene of the same name.

However, if the NavMesh has been baked already, you could try placing down Segments without being so rigid in your accuracy to the NavMesh.  I can't guarantee your success, but it's more important that a Segment covers every bit of the NavMesh, rather than the NavMesh covering ever Segment.
  • Thanks for the response. AC is going to save me thousands of hours, I guess I can draw a few boxes ;)

A slight side step solution I came up with was to use more interesting camera angles, it saves me some work with the navmesh and should give a better game experience :)