Forum rules - please read before posting.

Shifting inventory slots with controller deselects inventory box

edited April 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi,

I'm using a controller to directly control my inventory. I can select the items and shift buttons fine, but when I push the button to shift the inventory slots my direct-selection gets deselected and I can no longer get back to selecting anything in my inventory. I have to close my inventory and reopen it to get the selection back. Has anyone ever run into this before and might know of a solution where I can shift the inventory and the inventory box will stay selected?

Input method is Keyboard and Controller. The inventory is a Unity UI menu with the InventoryBox set as the First selected element.

I'm on AC 1.66.8 and Unity 2018.1.9f2.

Comments

• I shall attempt a recreation. What is your Menu's Appear type set to, and how does it differ from the default Inventory menu?

• The Appear Type is On Input Key.
    "When slot is empty" is set to Disable Object.
    And I'm only using 8 slots.

Not sure if this matters, but for menu options:
    I have unchecked "Directly-navigate Menus during Conversations?" since there are no conversations in my game.
    I am using an Event System prefab so I don't see the "Disable mouse when directly controlling Unity UI Menus?" option. The Event System prefab has a Rewired Input component on it as well as the standard Event System component.

Thanks

• Do you have Pause game when enabled? checked? If not, how are you allowing direct control outside of the game being paused?

So that we can rule out its interference, unassign your EventSystem prefab so that it's using the AC default. Does it still have the same behaviour?

• I've seemed to narrow down the issue. It's when I check "Only show when effective" on the offset menu elements that the problem comes up. Unchecking this box so the arrows always show and the selection is fine when scrolling through the items. This works fine for me so no need to look into it further.

And just to answer your questions for completeness, I didn't have the Pause game when enable? option checked and am selecting the InventoryBox by using the Engine: Manage System options to enable Control In-game Menus. And I wasn't able to get far enough to see if it was an issue with the Rewired Input node, but as I said the solution above works fine for me. Thanks, Chris!