Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player's Animation Controller working in game

Hi,

I'd like to set animations to my player, when he walks or is idle etc....Where can I set it?

And other question: Can you suggest me a simple solution for that, if I push a button, my character's animation changes?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited April 2019

How a character animates depends on his "Animation engine" setting at the top of their Inspector. See the Manual's "Character animation" chapter for your chosen engine.

These are all covered in the 2D and 3D tutorial videos, as well as the text tutorials on characters. Are you making a 2D or a 3D game, and what is your character's "Animation engine" set to?

Your standard animations (walk, idle, etc) can be changed using the Character: Animate Action. Sprites Unity-based characters can have this set to Set Standard and allow you to enter in a new name for your animations.

• Thank you, Chris!:) Where can I check these standard animation lists?:)

• You can see a list of a character's expected standard animations by expanding the List expected animations? foldout in their Inspector.

• I use 3D "Mecanim" Animation engine, with "Automatic" motion control.:)

• A list of standard animations are only shown when using Sprites Unity.

Mecanim animation works by controlling animator parameters - not by calling animations directly. Your Idle/Walk animations are played according to e.g. a "Move speed" float parameter, which is used to transition between them (see this tutorial).

To change these animations at runtime, you add another parameter (e.g. a Bool named "Play different anims") into your Controller that - when True - causes a different set of Idle/Walk animations to be transitioned to. So instead of swapping the animation clips - you just cause a different set to be played. Both sets would be present in your Animator - but only one set played at any one time.

You can then use the Character: Animate Action, set the Method to Change Parameter Value, and use it to set your new Bool to True.