Forum rules - please read before posting.

Help! My player character has stopped moving!

Things have been progressing great for months, then, suddenly, my player character has stopped being able to move. It was working just fine moments ago!
When I use Move to Point or use the WASD keys to attempt to move via direct control, the player animates, but will not move or turn in any direction.
Furthermore, when the scene starts, the Player is not starting at the Player Start marker. He stays positioned at wherever he is positioned in the scene file.
I have Apply Root Motion unchecked.
If I check Apply Root Movement, The Player DOES start at the player start, will change direction based on the direction I want him to move, will play the walking animation, but will not actually move from the spot.
If I uncheck the Animator component, the character turns and moves as expected, but does not animate.
I have not changed anything about the walking animation. It is a Read Only animation with no root movement information. Again, this has been working fine up until now and I havent changed anything (intentionally) about how the player moves or animates.

What else would you need to know to help?

Im using Unity 2018.2.17f1
AC v. 1.67.4

Comments

• Screenshots of your Player's Inspector, Animator, animation tab and Scene Manager, to begin with. Such a change wouldn't occur for no reason - can you think back to what you were working on at the time?

This does sound odd - your tests so far suggest that the animation itself is preventing movement. You're not locking the animation X/Y positions in the Animation tab of the model's Inspector? Are you freezing the Rigidbody's location?

Just so that we can rule out this being an issue with the scene, disable your Player and drop in Tin Pot from the Demo's Resources folder - does he move correctly?

• I ended up removing the current animator from my player character, creating a new animator and dragging in all of the same animations I was using before, and this fixed the problem. I can assume then that there was no problem with the animations themselves and that the issue was something with the animator object.

• Also, the only thing I remember changing was adding footsteps to my character. And even then, it was working fine in the scene I was working in. Then I saved the scene, loaded up a new scene and noticed my character had stopped being able to move. The I Reloaded the original scene and encountered the problem there as well. Is it possible that the Animator object itself became corrupt some how? Or is there some setting on or within the animator that I might have inadvertently changed that would have this effect?

• I can't say, it sounds like a Unity issue. Glad it's working for you now, though.