Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hitting "Create new translation" hangs Unity and leads to Blue Screen

edited May 2019 in Technical Q&A

Unity version 2017.2.0f3
AC version 1.66.1

I'm trying to add translations to my game, but whenever I hit the create new translation button, Unity immediately hangs and continues using more and more memory until finally ending at a blue screen. I have about 7000 lines gathered by the gather speech tool. The BSOD message is "Video memory management internal".

My scene file names have commas, dots etc. Could that possibly be the reason as discussed here? https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/6578/unity-totally-hangs-when-i-click-on-speech-under-ac-game-editor

I can send over the Windows mini/ crash dump file if that helps!

Comments

• My scene file names have commas, dots etc. Could that possibly be the reason as discussed here?

Even if not, other problems will arise with such characters. In a duplicate of your project, clean the filenames, and re-gather your text. Don't worry about mis-typed scene names in e.g. Scene: Switch Actions for now, just see if that addresses the above issue.

If that still results in the BSOD, what is the result of first clicking "Reset text" in the Speech Manager to clear all such lines? Again, this should all be done in a duplicate project while we run tests.

• Tried all of the above in a duplicate project, but it didn't make a difference - Unity still hangs upon clicking "create new translation".

• I'm guessing the next step would be to try updating AC to the latest version? I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes.

• Alright, updating didn't help, but I found an interesting workaround. If I first reset text so that AC has 0 lines gathered, then hit create new translation, I can create as many as I want without any issues. Once I'm happy with all the new translation slots, after that I can click gather text and proceed as normal.

I'm guessing 7k lines of text makes it too heavy for it to create a new translation slot?

• The behaviour you're getting would suggest so - but I wouldn't have thought 7k would be so large as to cause that.

When a new language is created, AC will iterate through each line twice - once to remove translations for already-deleted languages, and second to create new default lines for the new language.

You could try commenting out the first "foreach" loop in SpeechManager's CreateLanguage function, to see if that makes a difference.

• As of now I've already created placeholder translations using my workaround, but I'll try that method out in the future if needed. Thanks for the help!