Forum rules - please read before posting.

EventManager.On*Variable and Component variables

edited June 2019 in Technical Q&A

I'm using EventManager.OnUploadVariable events to detect when my variables change, which is working for the most part.

However, with the new Component variables there doesn't seem to be a way of detecting if a variable is a Global or Component one? This problem gets aggravated because both types of variables start at 0, so there is no workaround that I can see (except maybe checking if a variable is global with var.IsGlobalVariable(), but that iterates over every global variable on every call, which looks very inefficient).

Also, the location of the variable is in GVar.Upload(), so I guess one possible solution will be passing it down to the subscribed listeners (which I'm not sure is possible in a backwards compatible way, maybe optional parameters?)

Comments

• Besides this, it seems my script will receive all component variables that have a CustomScript link, so even if I differentiate between global and component ones, how can I check if I'm dealing with one or another component variable? (besides FindObjectsOfType<Variables> and doing a manual check, which seems like a big hassle, or something like checking its label).

I'm probably missing something, hence my asking.

• You should just need to store a reference to the variable itself from the Variables component, i.e.:

myVar = myVariables.GetVariable (myID);

You can then check if this is the same variable being uploaded:

void My_OnUploadVariable (GVar gVar)
    {
        if (gVar == myVar)
        {
            //
        }
    }

• Thanks Chris. This will of course solve the problem when I'm dealing with component variables from a script that's attached to the same GameObject, although I'll still have problems if I need to deal with them from a more central location, but I guess I can workaround it by storing the components the variables come from alongside their IDs.

Thanks again.