Forum rules - please read before posting.

Background conversations? Tips?

I'm wondering if any of you have any tips (that don't require scripting) for creating background conversations? My game is in 3D and in some scenes I'd like to have characters talking to each other while the player moves around the scene.
Ideally their volume gets lower the further away you are from them.
I'd still like for them to animate and lipsync while in these background conversations, but without subtitles.
The background conversation should also be able to be interrupted when clicking on them to talk, and resumed afterward.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• If the ActionList that controls the speaking is in the background, then so too will the speech. See the Manual's "Background ActionLists" chapter for more.

For their speech audio volume to change with distance, make sure their AudioSource components have a fully-3D spatial blend.

ActionLists can be paused and resumed with the ActionList: Pause or resume Action.

• Is there then also a way to stop subtitles from showing for my NPCs ONLY when the conversation is run from a background action list?

• A Subtitles menu can be configured to show for all subtitles, blocking only, or background only - see its For speech of type property.

• edited June 2019

Hm. It seems that the Character(s) to Exclude option in the Subtitles menu isnt working for me. Any thoughts? Is my syntax wrong? I copy and pasted the name directly from the inspector name field.
    AC v1.67.4

• The issue being that "Cop_Female"'s speech is displayed with this menu?

Does this character have a "Speaker label" field set? This'll be used instead of the GameObject name if so,

• Speaker Label was the issue! Thanks!