Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unable to jump

Unity 2019.3.0a7
AC 1.68.2

Following the 'Creating a first person game Tutorial' tutorial from Youtube and am at 20:30 into the video and noticed that my prefab player is unable to jump. This is my first go at using AC, and still relatively new to Unity. I'm not sure what's missing from my Scene/Project that could be causing this. I've followed the tutorial step by step and as far as I can tell, things are configured correctly.

In Console, the following error is given when running the game. Nothing written when hitting the spacebar to jump. Unsure if related:

No NavMesh set. Characters will not be able to PathFind until one is defined - please choose one using the Scene Manager.

-> AC debug logger
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
AC.ACDebug:LogWarning(Object, Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:25)
AC.KickStarter:OnAwake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:1191)
AC.MultiSceneChecker:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/MultiSceneChecker.cs:46)

Player settings:
Imgur

Input settings:
Imgur

AC Game Editor settings:
Imgur
Imgur

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @BrettThib.

What you've shared looks fine, but I'll need to see all of the Player's Inspector - including the other components he has.

It may be that you may need to configure his Ground-check layer(s) field, and/or the layer that the ground collider is on. The Player can only jump if he is "grounded", and this is determine both by his collider shape and by the layer of the object he is standing on.

Also worh mentioning is the appearance of Unity's UI in your screenshots - are you using an alpha/beta release, e.g. Unity 2019.3? Please note that AC does not officially support Unity alpha/beta releases, as they are still in development. Though unlikely, we can't rule out this being an issue with Unity itself if you're using a preview release.

• Hi Chris,
    Here is the full inspector for the player:
    Imgur
    Imgur
    Imgur

Ground-check layer(s) is set to Default, currently. One thing I did notice, is that after creating the hotspot for the sword in the scene, if I walk up to the sword, my player seems to climb on top of it, and I can then jump from that position only. Can try to get a video if you think it would help. I thought perhaps that the player capsule was instantiating slightly below the floor CollisionCube, as I've run into this in Unity before. I tried raising the capsule a bit, but it did not make any difference.

Here's my floor CollisionCube:
    Imgur

Re: the Unity version...I was thinking that my issue could be due to the version of Unity, which is why I originally posted this in the Dev QA forum. I'm going to try rolling back in a bit. I'd prefer to be on a supported release for AC.

• edited July 2019

You CollisionCube is placed on the Ignore Raycast layer - so it won't be considered "ground" by the ground-check algorithm. Set it to match the Ground check layer(s) field, i.e. Default.

Also, what layer is the Player himself placed on? He should be on Ignore Raycast - if Default, then that can also interfere with the ground-check.

Know too that the 3D demo's player prefab, Tin Pot, is set up to work in first-person as well. If you encounter an issue with player handling/movement, a quick way to find out if it's a problem with the player or the scene is to temporarily disable your player, drop Tin Pot into the scene, and run it. If he works OK, then the problem will be with your player. If not, the problem more likely lies with the scene.

• Thanks @ChrisIceBox for the info and tips! Will give this a go shortly.

• That fixed it! Thanks again! :)