Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is pausing action lists possible?

edited July 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hello!

Is it possible to pause action lists?

I've run into a situation where if an action list is running (say a conversation with a NPC) and the inventory is opened the conversation action list still continues.

Now it's been a while, but the reason why I don't do a blanket pause when the inventory opens is because I still need to run action lists to examine items in it.

What are some good ways to tackle this little conundrum? I basically want to pause or cancel down all action lists that were running in the scene, but leave action lists able to run for the sake of the inventory.

Thanks!

Comments

• Can you not close the Inventory menu when the conversation interaction starts? Or if you have something like an InGameMenu, you can close or lock that when a conversation starts?

• Hello @Escara. I'm trying to honour player actions as they happen. So if the inventory is opened, that should take priority. At the moment the player can activate the inventory menu at any time.

• Oh I see, so you want the conversation to pause? Could you add Dialogue Stop Speech when the Inventory is opened? Been ages since I used the Dialogue withing AC as I'm using a third party plugin.

• The problem won't be exclusive to conversations and dialogue. There could be other action lists which are doing other things which would be better to pause upon inventory activation.

• Boom. Apparently there is a...

void Pause ()
    Pauses the ActionList once it has finished running it's current Action.

...in the scripting guide. Something to play around with tonight!

• Good luck @Temmy , I'd be interested to know how you get on with this!

• Yes, they can be paused either through scripting (above) or via the ActionList: Pause or resume Action.

The Action requires a specific ActionList, however. To bulk-pause all, you'd have to rely on scripting.