Forum rules - please read before posting.

Feature Request: Dialogue: Play Speech multi-mega node

In my game I tend to have characters you meet speak monolgues (audio file). I then use Dialogue: Play Speech nodes to manually sync up subtitles for each line. This requires using the wait time offset slider carefully and having multiples of these nodes (sometimes as many as 10) to subtitle the whole speech. This makes for a messey and somewhat convoluted action list.

Would it be possible to have a single node which could have multiple text boxes, with each box having a wait time slider adjacent to it? The action list would run through this node from top to bottom and then move.

Comments

• edited July 2019

I'm not quite sure I understand the scenario - is this because the subtitles are so long they don't match up the audio? You can insert [wait:X] tokens to pad out the display.

A custom Action can be used to add whatever behaviour you like - you can extend or copy the ActionSpeech class to start with, but would Timeline be appropriate here?

AC has its own "AC Speech" Timeline track type, which is a much easier way of syncing up speech timing, since it gives you realtime feedback when editing. For more on using AC with Timeline, see this tutorial.

• I'll look into Timeline.

Just to try to better explain my issue:

I have an audio recording of a short speech. This speech is about 1 minute long and is comprised of a good few sentences.

Using a **Run in Parallel ** node with 2 outputs:

1 is the audio speech recording in a Sound: Play node.
    2 is a series of sequential Dialogue: Play speech nodes which have the matching subtitles for the speech typed in. Allowing one line of text to be displayed concurrently as the matching line is spoken in the speech audio.

This results in a long string of Dialogue: Play speech nodes. I am suggesting one multi Dialogue: Play speech node instead, would allow separate lines of text to be displayed sequentially, separated by inbetween wait times.

Here is a mockup to better explain what the heck I'm on about:

• But why not break the audio itself into chunks that can be used by each Dialogue: Play speech Action?

Again, this could be done in a custom Action - which I think it'd have to be because I don't see this as a feature others would benefit from. It's already possible to use a carriage return to separate speech text into seprate lines, and inserting the above-mentioned "wait" token before each carriage-return can be used to delay the following line from playing.

After your further explanation, however, I do think Timeline would be the most appropriate method here.

• Just craving for more simplified Action Lists in certain scenarios. I'll investigate Timeline. Thanks.