Forum rules - please read before posting.

Loading custom savegame files

edited July 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi,

Is it natively possible to load a custom SaveGame from a user specified location?

Didn't find any viable public functions in SaveSystem and had to hack private void Load (SaveFile saveFile, bool doLog) to public, which does works like a charm!
If there is no such function would it be possible to add one? Loading custom savegame files is great for testing IMO.
Thanks!

AC 1.68.1

Comments

• You can implement a new iSaveFileHandler class, which is used to determine where save files are stored. The default class, SaveFileHandler_SystemFile, stores such files in Unity's Application.persistentDataPath, which is standard practice.

See the Manual's "Custom save formats and handling" chapter - you can duplicate this class and assign it as the game's file handler class, and use it to place files wherever you like. You could then wrap this around a scripting define symbol, e.g. #if SAVE_TESTING, so that you enable it only when SAVE_TESTING is listed as a symbol in Unity's Player Settings.

The next update will also convert the default class's private functions to protected, so that you can more easily create a subclass to override only what you need.

• Great answer as always, thanks!

I stored my custom savegames in the StreamingAssets folder, since it's included in build. From there I used Application.streamingAssetsPath to locate the files loaded them. Works on any platform except WebGL and Android.