Forum rules - please read before posting.

Editing Text through CSV file (not for translation)

Hi,

I was hoping to use the CSV files to edit the text in the game. Essentially, I thought I can gather text, export it and edit all text through Open Office. It seems easier this way, especially if we're having an external editor who doesn't normally work with Unity.

I did some tests recently, and it seems like that's not possible, and the only way to do this, is to create a translation that is the same language as the original text in the game and edit text as a translation (later set the default text in game as said translation).

Is there a better way to do this / am I missing something? Just curious, because it seems that editing original text as a translation can be a little problematic (e.g. edited text will appear as not edited inside Unity, and it might be harder to track what's edited and what is not, when later working in Unity). It also seems it might be more difficult to make changes in Unity, once the text is edited, since it's the translation that is edited, and not the text in the Unity Actions.

Comments

• edited July 2019

The way you've described is the way that's recommended - the game's "original" language can be disabled in favour of the first-defined translation.

The Speech Manager only reads Action data. It won't apply text changes back to the original speech Actions, as there's potential for things to break.

However, I'll try to write an add-on script that'll allow you copy text from a translation onto the source Actions.

• Thank you, I've finally managed to test this and it seems to be working just fine.

I'm curious how problematic this might be though, it doesn't seem to be creating any issues at the moment. I'm guessing best practice for text editing is still do do it once all text is in game and final, just like translation would be done.

• It won't work if carriage returns are used to separate lines within the same speech Action, but it should be safe otherwise.