Forum rules - please read before posting.

Seamless Scene Transitions with Video

I'm making an Interactive FMV game which is 100% video-based. I've split each section of the game into scenes, to avoid overly complex branching Actionlists etc.

The issue I'm having is that when one video ends playing and the SceneSwitch is called there's still a second or so 'black screen' before the next scene loads and the video in the next scene automatically begins to play.

I have 'Overlay current scene during switch?' but this only seems to work (to an extent) if I crossfade by fading in the next scene per the User Manual. It doesn't seem to work if I instantly switch the next scene.

Does this usually work by taking a screenshot of the last frame of the previous scene and keep it on screen until the next scene is fully loaded? If so it doesn't seem to work properly if a video is playing. I'm not 100% sure though.

I also have 'Load scenes asyncronously' ticked in the Settings.

If this isn't an issue with AC can anybody recommend any possible way seamless scene transitions that are playing video could be implemented?

Comments

• Does this usually work by taking a screenshot of the last frame of the previous scene and keep it on screen until the next scene is fully loaded?

That's correct, though whether or not it includes video is up to Unity, I suspect. Results may vary on how the video itself is rendered.

If it's a physical object in the scene (e.g. played as a material on a quad) then it would be included in the screenshot because the camera can physically see it. The same may be true for certain "Render Mode" values if played on a Video Player - though I don't know for which.

Try playing around with the way the video itself gets rendered to see which works. If all else fails, you can always set the transition texture manually through script with:

AC.KickStarter.sceneChanger.SetTransitionTexture (myTexture2D);

Before manually fading out the camera and switching scene in two separate Actions.

• Like @TayannaStudios I am working to create a FMV with seamless shot & scene transitions. It sounded like we had very similar issues.

I had so many issues whether connecting them as scenes OR video player action scripts. I searched AC forums and Unity forums, tried a bunch of stuff, to no avail -- then I tried something and it worked...

1. Go into the Inspector of your Main Camera.
    2. Check the "Clear Flags" option, it's likely set to Black.
    3. Click the dropdown, click Don't Clear.

Do this for every scene.

This seemed to resolve the issue for me.

@ChrisIceBox -- thanks so much for the great tool.

• Thanks for the tip, @moadem, and welcome to the community!