Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with Gamepad Controls

I've recently tried setting up some gamepad controls for my game, and I've had some issues with it.

1) I can't seem to move the character with the joystick (2D game). In AC Settings I've changed Movement method: to Direct. The character has a Circle Collider 2D and Rigidbody 2D. In Unity Inputs I have Horizontal and Vertical inputs set to joysticks. It's very frustrating as it works only partially - the character can only move upwards, no any other direction.

2) I can't select Unity Prefab GUI with the controller, particularly for Dialogue Options (I've encountered the same problem with all other GUI's, but I only tested extensively with Dialogue Options).
My dialogue options (or Conversations) have Source: selected to Unity UI Prefab, and I've made sure Auto-select first visible Element? is checked. The outcome is that when I have dialogue options in the game, the first option is automatically selected, but I can't use any input to change the selection. I can however press InteractionA input to select the option, which works just fine.

I do have a lot of default Unity Inputs in my InputManager, which seems like they could be interfering with what I actually need. I've tried deleting all of them, and only entering the necessary inputs listed in Settings (Available Inputs), but I couldn't even get the InteractionA input to work that way. Is there anything in the default Unity Inputs that is needed for other things to work?

Is there anything that I could have missed?

Comments

• Unless you supply a custom Event System prefab, navigation and selection of Unity UI-based menus will be based on the default UI inputs - i.e. Horizontal and Vertical for navigation, and Submit for selection. You can see these defined in the "EventSystem" GameObject that appears in the Hierarchy at runtime.

AC won't control the navigation of Unity UI-based menus - it'll still leave that all up to Unity. It may be worth testing UI navigation in a non-AC scene, but it's all determined by the "Navigation" property of your UI Button components. If set to Automatic, you should be seeing yellow arrows from one Button to the next when viewing it in the Scene window.

If things are all looking correct there, it may be an issue with how the inputs themselves are defined. What joystick axes are you mapping to the Horizontal and Vertical inputs? If the character isn't moving left and right, it sounds like Horizontal may not be correct. As a test to confirm this, try loading up the 2D Demo and set the movement to Direct - can you move Brain around in the Park scene with the controller?